Not Q - Herb and Vegetable Garden 2018

DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
This weekend I decided to put in an herb and vegetable garden again. I’ve been lazy the last 2 years and didn’t plant anything in the garden. One of the reasons why I didn’t was we had an irrigation valve go bad. We had to turn the backyard irrigation water off most of the time or the sprinklers would come on by themselves.

I needed to replace it but I was really dreading doing this due to how much work it was (I had to completely dig up the valve box like I was starting over) replacing a valve servicing my hill, downhill lawn, garden and fruit trees. You see when we expanded our patio I had to also expand our yard.

Here it is before the new concrete was poured.

In the pictures above you can see my expanded patio was occupying most of what used to be my original yard. So to expand our yard I had to also put in a retaining wall. (A few pics of that)
1st course.

Drainage pipe and rock to control expansion.

Due to all this I had to completely redo all the irrigation, so I decided to put in underground valves in valve boxes. (A few pics of that)
Underground valves / manifold connecting to lawn sprinklers and drip irrigation for planters.

Valve box being positioned.

Lids on and waiting to have soil filled in around them.

Here it is once most everything was finished except putting in the fountain, the plants and the rock ground cover.

And here it is after the fountain, the plants and the rock ground cover were done.

Here you can see why I didn’t want to have to dig them up.

Well I finally decided to fix it. Here’s the valves as they looked before I fixed them. (The valve on left is the bad one)

As it turned out I didn’t have to dig everything up (thanks to a pry bar) but it still took around 90 minutes to complete. (The new valve was like 1/8” longer than the old one)
41610662562_828ea72c6d_z.jpg

Now that I can water everything via the time-clock controller again I started out with some herbs, (From left to right is Sweet mint, sweet basil, chives, lemon thyme and sage)

peppers and tomatoes.

The peppers were a variety pack.

I started out by planting the herbs in pots.

I divided the basil and chives into 3 different pots so I can rotate them inside the house and outside the house.

Here are one of the basil's, one of the chives and the thyme in our kitchen garden window.

I planted the peppers in 3 half wine barrel planters.
Serrano and Jalapeno.

Anaheim & Cayenne

And the hot stuff - Habanero & Bhut Jolokia

These are all up the hill on our side yard where I’ve already planted some larger tomatoes.

I planted the sage and the smaller tomatoes in my downhill garden beds. Here’s a picture of the overall downhill garden.

Sage.

This is some Oregano that comes back every year. (Since 2013)

Big Boy Tomatoes.

The Waaaiiting is the Hardest Part!

Thank for looking.

That's one heck of a project

That's what I was thinking! Lot of work went into that. I worked landscaping in my teens and did a lot of retaining walls-that is seriously labor intensive.

Very nice finished project! I love the fountain, and the view. Good luck with the gardens!

Nice Job...
Thank you Dmakkk
That's one heck of a project, waiting on the results.
Thank you Marty. Just to clarify, the patio, retaining wall and redoing of the irrigation was done in 2009. I included pictures of it only to explain what I was needing to fix and why I was dreading doing it if I had to dig it up to fix it.
That's what I was thinking! Lot of work went into that. I worked landscaping in my teens and did a lot of retaining walls-that is seriously labor intensive.

Very nice finished project! I love the fountain, and the view. Good luck with the gardens!
Thank you TravelingJ. I also used to do some landscaping in my youth. The patio we had when we moved in was less than half the size of the new one we had built. I built the retaining wall (with the help of a laborer) as well as redoing the irrigation, adding the planter edging, planting the plants, the new lawn turf and adding the fountain. But without the laborer helping I'm sure I would have had to make a trip to the hospital. :icon_blush:

Nice upgrade DH, looks awesome!
Thank you Tom. That project was a ton of work but it was so worth it when it was done.
Very nice! I am trying a new garden this year. All hydroponic, grown inside with no dirt.
Thank you oifmarine. I don't have the room to much for that inside but I have lots of room outside.

Last edited:
Awesome, you have inspired me to get off my arse and plant this weekend! The waiting is the hardest part but belief in tomorrow is why we garden! Well, that and the produce!

Nice pics and write-up - you are ready to rock, I have small plants now either inside or cover with a towel outside.
GROW ON, man !

(I have basil cherry tomato, parsley inside, Roma tomato, oregeno and thyme outside..)

Back