***The Hanging and Spinning Meat Appreciation Thread***

1 hr 15mins in, you can't see the TBS but it's there. Probably another 30 mins to 1 hr till it is crispy but moist and melts in your mouth.

Bob your setup is sweet!

Mine was pretty simple considering I already had all of the components, just my mission was to adapt them to use them anywhere. Really happy with it considering I can use it anywhere, it really isn't that hard to have a roti setup that is decoupled from a particular grill. Just for ease of use at home, I'll probably use it mostly on that crappy firepit now.

Definitely keep an eye on home depot/lowes clearance around now. Roti parts will start to show up

Thanks. Love my Akorn for set it and walk away cooking but there's something special about being able to sit back and watch the fire and see the food cook. (With a cold drink) Perfect way to cook Cornish hens I think.

Update: I checked where the pieces are touching each other, raw.
So I flipped each piece so they are hanging over 2 bars. Gonna be more than an hour to finish I believe. But at least I know I can smoke a lot of bacon at one time with this rack.

Small Brisket in a stacked 14.5 WSM. Homemade stacker & hanging rack. Cooked between 260* - 290*. Brisket came out real good.

PICT0675_zpsrqlgieqn.jpg

PICT0679_zpstbckth7j.jpg

PICT0680_zpsbzgxvrd9.jpg

PICT0687_zpssgathxtr.jpg

PICT0692_zpsgmrm7onb.jpg

PICT0695_zpsiwesvepc.jpg

PICT0697_zps5jze4o0r.jpg

Thanks. Love my Akorn for set it and walk away cooking but there's something special about being able to sit back and watch the fire and see the food cook. (With a cold drink) Perfect way to cook Cornish hens I think.
I'm spinning ribs over the fire right now....LOVE it! Open top fire cooking does rule.

Update: I checked where the pieces are touching each other, raw.
So I flipped each piece so they are hanging over 2 bars. Gonna be more than an hour to finish I believe. But at least I know I can smoke a lot of bacon at one time with this rack.
Crank it up and getter done! lol

Small Brisket in a stacked 14.5 WSM. Homemade stacker & hanging rack. Cooked between 260* - 290*. Brisket came out real good.

PICT0675_zpsrqlgieqn.jpg

PICT0679_zpstbckth7j.jpg

PICT0680_zpsbzgxvrd9.jpg

PICT0687_zpssgathxtr.jpg

PICT0692_zpsgmrm7onb.jpg

PICT0695_zpsiwesvepc.jpg

PICT0697_zps5jze4o0r.jpg

Brisket hanging in the mini.... :clap: That is freaking awesome! Nice cook Robert and love the setup brother.

Last edited:
Thanks. Here's the stacker compared to an 18.5 WSM on casters:

PICT0499_zps3ea49c54.jpg

I also hang Tritip & Chicken in the 14.5. Doesn't get much better.

PICT0655_zpsdlm4ja6d.jpg

PICT0657_zpsbvfixke0.jpg

PICT0659_zpst2sqt1a2.jpg

PICT0666_zps2mrumgxk.jpg

PICT0668_zpsclo7ezfh.jpg
Oh that looks FANTASTIC! I just did some in the rotisserie basket over a oak fire....OMG. I don't think i'll do tri's another way besides maybe hanging. Nice cook Robert!

If I hung in my jimmy smoker i'd sear them on the grill part like you did...perfect. With the roti I stopped it over the fire to sear on both sides.

ebijack, I like to shock bacon briefly on medium high heat on the stove and then put the pan in the oven--because I like bacon that's both curly and evenly cooked. It comes out great...but you've beat the living fark out of it! That's some curly bacon!

Trying double hung thighs. They sure shed a bunch of fat though! I always trim off that back side of hanging skin so it's only on the one side and cooked 450* Really happy with the skin on these.
When I do a party in a couple of weeks i gotta cook a bunch of these so this was the high heat test.

Oh put the skins opposite to each other.

PICT0675_zpsrqlgieqn.jpg

PICT0679_zpstbckth7j.jpg

PICT0680_zpsbzgxvrd9.jpg

PICT0687_zpssgathxtr.jpg

PICT0692_zpsgmrm7onb.jpg

PICT0695_zpsiwesvepc.jpg

PICT0697_zps5jze4o0r.jpg
Man that briskie sure looks juicy. I have a mni WSM that I built and I cook on it PBC style. I want to get a 14.5 WSM and was wondering if you ould give the demensions on the hanger ? thanks

Man that briskie sure looks juicy. I have a mni WSM that I built and I cook on it PBC style. I want to get a 14.5 WSM and was wondering if you ould give the demensions on the hanger ? thanks

Sure. It's made of .25" steel rod. The base circle is 13.5" diameter. The upper square is 6.25" & it's 5.12" & centered above ground zero. All dimensions are to the outside of each part.

I don't do any Hanging cooks yet but I do spin, here is a pic of my setup & a couple of cooks.

View attachment 114169

View attachment 114170

View attachment 114171

View attachment 114172
It's a great setup Larred and you've done some awesome cooks on it!

I don't know if I can handle that kinda high tech..lol That's awesome Garrett!

Back