Replacement for Oakridge rubs?

DetTigersFan

is one Smokin' Farker
Just curious if anyone has found a solid replacement or go-to brand since the closing of Oakridge?

I've been out of the cooking game for good bit and just now rebooting. I was shocked to see they had to close their shop. They were my go-to brand like many here and this is where I found out about them to begin with.

Yes, I know there's no "replacing" Oakridge BBQ rubs.

Adkins Western Style is my go to Beef rub - brisket, chuck roast , short ribs

PlowBoys Yardbird is my go to Pig n Chicken rub - ribs, pork butt, pork chops, pork steaks, chicken parts, turkey…….

I like some of Meat Church's rubs. They're Holy Gospel and Holy Cow are two of my favorites. I wasn't a fan of their Texas Sugar even though I've read people rave about it.

I do like their Honey Hog and Honey Hog Hot for ribs though.

I want to try Harcore Carnivore.

Right now my favorite seasoning/rub is Killer Hogs AP. I'm putting that on EVERYTHING, even sandwiches instead of salt and pepper.

The Oakridge product line was pretty distinctive, I can't think of one manufacturer that can satisfy all of the flavors. When Chris (Nature Boy) began marketing Dizzy Pig rubs we both posted on the old BGE forum, and he posted here too. Dizzy Dust is probably the longest running rub in my arsenal. You might check out his website.

I can also say I've used Yardbird since the Beta testing days here on the forum. And for 15+ years Cimarron Doc's, Smokin' Guns Hot, and Birds and Bones have been in my rub section.

Obligatory.
taco-seasoning-recipe-1200x1200-1.jpg

I am gonna try this SPL211 16Adams is always posting - on a brisket tonite

One thing I've never sought is consistency. To me it's boring. However, I do cook enough, often enough instead of MSU I will attempt to reenact a previous cook. PSL211 is a great place to replicate a taste. You can jack with it- onion-garlic coffee etc.

Good luck with the brisket.

To those confused by PSL211

2 parts cracked black pepper
1 part Kosher salt
1 part Lawry's Seasoning

To those not interested or scowling at the screen saying, everybody knows that- thats not new. You're right.

Last edited:
One thing I've never sought is consistency. To me it's boring. However, I do cook enough, often enough instead of MSU I will attempt to reenact a previous cook. PSL211 is a great place to replicate a taste. You can jack with it- onion-garlic coffee etc.

1 part Kosher salt
1 part Lawry's Seasoning

To those not interested or scowling at the screen saying, everybody knows that- thats not new. You're right.

Same here. I'm just incapable of not playing about seasonings. Oakridge...just awesome, but the novelty of say dominator on a rack of ribs and great as it was...wore off quick. Had the whole Oakridge line so now it's dominator and the coffee rub, now it's something else and lemon garlic, now it's whatever remotely sounds interesting mixed with... whatever.
Company is rare, but the "Hey, like what ya did last time." Yeah, I've no idea of that.

-D

1 part Kosher salt
1 part Lawry's Seasoning

Same here. I'm just incapable of not playing about seasonings. Oakridge...just awesome, but the novelty of say dominator on a rack of ribs and great as it was...wore off quick. Had the whole Oakridge line so now it's dominator and the coffee rub, now it's something else and lemon garlic, now it's whatever remotely sounds interesting mixed with... whatever.
Company is rare, but the "Hey, like what ya did last time." Yeah, I've no idea of that.

-D

"Familiarity breeds contempt", don't know who coined it, but a brilliant observation.

On so many subjects.

Back