Replacement for Oakridge rubs?

I can’t image a replacement for Oakridge. There’s nothing on the market close to the complexity of their rubs. I worked in the spice industry for 12 years and I can tell you, alot of what they used were not your garden variety spices and very hard and expensive to procure. I was always surprised at how low their prices were. The problem is the market is saturated with cheap producers with rubs that are good enough for most folksZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t image a replacement for Oakridge. There’s nothing on the market close to the complexity of their rubs. I worked in the spice industry for 12 years and I can tell you, alot of what they used were not your garden variety spices and very hard and expensive to procure. I was always surprised at how low their prices were. The problem is the market is saturated with cheap producers with rubs that are good enough for most folksZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is absolutely true, but in my experience I just never noticed that much of a difference in the final outcome. Dominator was a great a BBQ rub, but it just didn't bring anything to the table which was above and beyond any of the other great rubs out there.

I'm always trying to find a single rub for everything, and Melissa Cookston's "Coal Play" has achieved that goal for my palate. It's a fantastic rub, and it's relatively low in sugar compared to many other rubs (I'm keto, so that's a big deal for me). It gives a great bark and I love it on steaks...it allows for a fantastic sear without burning.

I've used it on pork butt/ribs, brisket, beef/bison, elk/venison, and so far it just flat out works well.

To those confused by PSL211

2 parts cracked black pepper
1 part Kosher salt
1 part Lawry's Seasoning

To those not interested or scowling at the screen saying, everybody knows that- thats not new. You're right.

An important difference in the outcome: Diamond or Morton kosher salt?

I can't believe I only recently discovered the difference in texture and density.

I believe that was another thing that was carefully developed with Oakridge rubs - the particle size (and size consistency) of each rub ingredient makes a big difference.

^^^ That is a valid observation. Which is true if measured by volume. If by weight there is no distinction. Of course this only speaks to density, not texture.

^^^ That is a valid observation. Which is true if measured by volume. If by weight there is no distinction. Of course this only speaks to density, not texture.

I agree that measuring by weight is very important.

Other thoughts: The particle size impacts the rate of absorption into the meat, and how much remains after cooking. And also the distribution across the meat. The same weight of chunky kosher is going to be very different than flake kosher.

It also impacts tongue sensation of salt flavor. I noticed that recently in a big way when I bought some Maldon flaked sea salt for making focaccia. That really opened my 'eyes' to salt texture. How strong is the salt on your tongue? How fast does it hit? How long does it last?

I think salt texture can impact layering of flavors with layers of different rubs/spices.

From looking at my Oakridge rubs, it seems the salt tends to be a very fine texture. I really appreciate that those are low salt rubs, and the salt level isn't limiting how I can use the rub. I'd guess that aspect of those rubs is key. And salt is probably the cheapest ingredient in any rub.

When you take a bite of a great piece of candied bacon.. It has this whole range of flavors that progress over several seconds. Sugar, maple, smoke, salt, bacon, spice, sugar fades, back to salt and bacon... Not necessarily in that order. But getting that progression of flavors to dance across the tongue, for me, is what can make it so incredible. I've been going to start a thread on that - getting candied bacon 'right', or closer to it - and less about luck.

I'm just an amateur, trying to figure out how to make good stuff.

While there are no true replacements for Oakridge, I am loving Swine Life BBQ's Prime Beef on anything beef. It is certainly not Black Ops, but it's killer on a steak. Otherwise, I am still working through the rub I stockpiled when he closed down.

I stocked up heavily on Carne Crosta and Jah Love before Mike closed shop.

I have adapted to SuckleBusters. They make some great rubs.

Just thought I would ask to see if there were any more replacements that people may have found now that Oakridge is truly gone and the other rub makers have seen the hole in the market it produced, possibly creating their own versions of some of these rubs.

I still have some of my stock that I bought up when I found out they were closing down (I think I bought as much as I could find since I learned late that they were closing up and had already shutdown when I went on my purchasing spree).

One thing I've never sought is consistency. To me it's boring. However, I do cook enough, often enough instead of MSU I will attempt to reenact a previous cook. PSL211 is a great place to replicate a taste. You can jack with it- onion-garlic coffee etc.

Good luck with the brisket.

To those confused by PSL211

2 parts cracked black pepper
1 part Kosher salt
1 part Lawry's Seasoning

To those not interested or scowling at the screen saying, everybody knows that- thats not new. You're right.
is that by Weight or Volume??

I was a lucky recipient of a heap of Oakridge products through a TD win, so I have the largest inventory in the Southern Hemisphere.

Going through it very slowly. Most treasured is actually Saigon 21, which was only ever experimental, but Mike totally nailed it. There isn't anything out there remotely like it. In fact it's not really for BBQ because it's so unexpected. would score a DAL at a competition but it's NOT for competition.

I still have enough HDD to strafe Vietnam again. Love that stuff.

In regards to no replacements, this is true. The hole in the market probably will not be filled because it actually can't be. Oakridge was high quality boutique rubs with pretty small margins so it seems. Why would another business make those kinds of rubs and reduce their margin? Nope. People will just have to buy their existing stuff as it is and make do. That's what it amounts to.

If Mike were to sell his recipies, any commercial business would instantly screw with the quality and balance to maximise margins.

We just have to put it all behind us.

Bill

Adkins Western Style is my go to Beef rub - brisket, chuck roast , short ribs

PlowBoys Yardbird is my go to Pig n Chicken rub - ribs, pork butt, pork chops, pork steaks, chicken parts, turkey…….

Definitely gonna 2nd PlowBoys. Yardbird goes good on just about anything, and their Bovine Bold is my go-to for brisket and wild game. Also been happy with a lot of the Meat Church stuff.

A lot of the rubs suggested post Oakridge are high salt. Sometimes 3x or 4x the salt level of Oakridge per serving. When the first ingredient in a rub is salt, I am immediately suspect. I have plenty of salt, thank you. Of course that significantly lowers the cost of ingredients. Much more so when it is high quality fresh spices. I sure miss Oakridge - the product, and the class act who made it all happen.

Most treasured is actually Saigon 21, which was only ever experimental, but Mike totally nailed it. There isn't anything out there remotely like it. In fact it's not really for BBQ because it's so unexpected.

That sounds great. I found an excellent thread with lots of experiences. Another one to add to the list of "try and formulate"..

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291022

The Plowboy's Yardbird is pretty salty to me.

I never had the chance to try the Oakridge rubs and its clear I missed out greatly.

Last edited:
While different than Oakridge, Dizzy Pig rubs are an option folks should try if they haven’t.

Back