First Tri Tip.....holly crap

Wood Fire Steel

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Coming from Georgia pork is the king of the smoker. Well at least where I am from. After seeing all the post here on brisket I felt it was time to leave the steak in the frigerator and try something new. I have done hundreds of butts, picnics,ribs and chicken, but never smoked the beef. To the store....and not a damn brisket to be found. Luckily I found a good looking tri tip. Seeing the raves about fri tip here on the forum, I felt it was time to try something new . Had a picnic low and slow on the weber kettle since 0400. Put the tri tip with salt, pepper, garlic, onion and chili powder on at 250 for 2 1/2 hours. Over shot at 150. Seared it on the charcoal chimney. After a rest sliced it up and holy ****. The texture of the best brisket I have ever had with better flavor IMHO. Sure as hell beats 14-16 hours for a brisket. Sorry for the long post but I am stoked. Thanks to the brethren for introducing me to something new.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 743
Looks great. Surprised it was so pink at 150°.I usually shoot for 130°

Pffft - That's not a long post.... but it IS some damned fine looking tri-tip!

Dats it. Great cook. Don't worry about over shoot it depends on where the temp was taken and dat baby looks GREAT!

Picture makes it look more pink than it was. It was juicy as you can tell. super tender but not falling apart. Very happy with how it was even going over a few degrees.

Beautiful tri tip! I love them too, unfortunately my local walmart has quit stocking them. Have to drive about 30 miles to get one now.:tsk:

love tri tip but if there is one bad thing i can say about tri tip is in my experience it just isnt the same for leftovers/re-warmed next day.

just devour it all after you cook it

Awesome! I love me some tri tip. Try making some fajitas the same way using some skirt steak. I do a couple at a time with mesquite or pecan.

Tri tips are great.

If im looking at the pic correctly it looks like you didn't slice against the grain. The grain run in two directions on a tri tip. there is an excellent diagram showing it, ill see if i can find it.

Edit: here's one

Picture makes it look more pink than it was. It was juicy as you can tell. super tender but not falling apart. Very happy with how it was even going over a few degrees.

The cut is so lean, You handled it perfectly from what I can see great color and a-juice . Nothing worse than when it comes out dry after all your hard work. Lot to learn about that cut.

The best part of doing your first tri-tip is there is no way its your last tri-tip.

Back