Whole Boneless Ribeye?

wire-it-up

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Greetings Brethren. I am itching to try something new in the Humphrey's today... something I've never made before. Searching Malcom Reed's channel, and local meat shop sales ads, I think I've decided on whole boneless ribeye. Is this the cut of meat that gives us prime rib? In reading through Malcom's recipe, I think it is. Looks like it is best served medium rare, which doesn't bother me. Internal temp of about 135 or so, with a 4 hour cook anticipated.

I love prime rib, so I can't imagine I wouldn't like it smoked. Sale price is $5.99/lb., and it looks like they come in the 12 pound range. So it won't be a cheap hunk o meat. That's why I was hoping to hear from the Brethren before dropping the cash on it. Gotta grab a couple of butts for Monday too, and the place I'm leaning toward shopping at has twin packs on sale for $1.49/lb. Not the least I've ever paid, but not a bad price. I'm not real hungry for pork this week (had pork steaks last week), but you can't beat a good pulled pork sandwich or pulled pork nachos.

Thanks all!

Yes you can make prime rib from a section of the whole boneless ribeye. $5.99 is a pretty good price. I think an IT of 135* is going to be a bit on the high side, especially if you plan to sear the outside somehow after reaching the target IT.

I've never made one, so I'll take any pointers I can get. I hadn't planned on searing afterwards, but I can. Do you have tips you wouldn't mind sharing? What would you take the IT to? Malcom Reed says 130 or so. His recipe doesn't include a sear at the end of the cook, but I'm open to it, for sure. Thanks for your reply.

IMO the crust is what really takes prime rib to the next level, and at "low and slow" temps I dont really see it developing much. Im not familiar with his recipe, but generally speaking doing a "reverse sear" by doing the low part on a smoker and the "sear" part under the broiler in the oven seems to be a popular method.

All a matter of preference....maybe low and slow with no sear is fine for you.

Last edited:
Went and checked his recipe, I see he cooks at 275* that may work for some crust development, though I've not done it that way so I cant really speak to that.

I still think his finishing temps are off...Ive never cookeed a ribeye and had an end temp of 140-145* and it be anything near medium rare. But hey, he's the one with the bbq website that has millions of hits so what do I know :p

Once the internal temp hit 135 degrees, I pull the prime rib off the smoker and let it rest. Large cuts of meat will always gain 5-10 degrees after being taken off the smoker.

Your Prime Rib will hit a perfect medium rare (140 internal) in about 15 minutes.

If you are aiming for medium you will pull your Prime Rib off the smoker at 140 internal (and let it gain 5 degree while it rests).

If you are aiming for medium well – which I don’t ever reccomend – you will pull it off the smoker between 145 and 150.
Once you rest your prime rib for 15 – 30 minutes, it is time to eat.

I smoked a 16 lb (split into 2 8lb pieces) prime rib for Easter. Best prime rib we've ever had. Dry brined it the night before then smoked it for about 6 hours to a perfect medium rare.

Decided to go with beef plate ribs (dino bones) instead. It would take us a long time to eat that whole ribeye, and I can only handle the same meat about 3 times before I want something different. Don't like to freeze meat either, before or after cooking.

If you are looking at Malcolm Reed's hickory smoked rib eye cook, that's the recipe I used on my first boneless rib eye. Try it sometime, it was fantastic.

That cheap ribeye is probably Mexican. Some of its alright and some of its bad. Hard to tell when you get the whole roll.

When I can afford one of those, I make a paste of olive oil, finely minced garlic, light rosemary, thyme, S&P. Let it sit @ room temp for about an hour and do a reverse seer.

Comes out like a champ. A sliver or three of gaalic' in the middle of the roast don't hurt.

If you are looking at Malcolm Reed's hickory smoked rib eye cook, that's the recipe I used on my first boneless rib eye. Try it sometime, it was fantastic.

I do want to try it, but maybe when we will have more than 2 or 3 people eating it. Probably a good Christmas dish. Any other time of year, I would have to eat it 5 or 6 times in short succession, and I can't handle that.

How much does it normally go for per pound?

Normally about $8 /lb for boneless USDA Choice if it's not on sale. $6 /lb is good deal and I would probably buy couple at that price to cut and eat as steaks, Korean BBQ, and Philly cheese steaks.

I've bone-in Choice ribeye roast wet aging in the fridge right now. I paid $7 /lb for it around Easter time. I'm debating if I want to cut into steaks to grill or smoke it whole to make prime rib roast.

Wow, I should have gone with my original plan. The plate ribs are in the cooker as we speak. The same place that has the boneless ribeye for $5.99/lb. has brisket on sale for $3.69/lb. I thought that was a good price as well.

I ended up going to a closer meat shop, which was a zoo of people by the time I got there. I bought $100 worth of meat... two 9 lb. butts, and 3 plates of beef ribs. The lady at the register said I needed a truck to haul all of that out of there. Another customer asked me how I cook the beef ribs, because he was buying the same thing. I told him to follow Malcom's recipe, and he couldn't go wrong. He said he had a pellet cooker and a WSM. He said this will be his third try with the plate ribs, and the first two tries were disappointing. That surprised me, because I've made them a handful of times prior to today, and they've never been disappointing. I know it's not my methodology that is successful, which is why I told him to find howtobbqright Online. So, while I fail at brisket, he said his is always pretty good. Funny how not everyone can cook everything successfully. I wish I could. But my brisket foibles are for another thread, another day.

I slow smoke to about 117. Then rest for an hour or so. Place on an elevated rack in the oven at 500 degrees for 10 -12 minutes for the outer crust. Perfect medium rare-rare from end to end

Wow, I should have gone with my original plan. The plate ribs are in the cooker as we speak. The same place that has the boneless ribeye for $5.99/lb. has brisket on sale for $3.69/lb. I thought that was a good price as well.

I ended up going to a closer meat shop, which was a zoo of people by the time I got there. I bought $100 worth of meat... two 9 lb. butts, and 3 plates of beef ribs. The lady at the register said I needed a truck to haul all of that out of there. Another customer asked me how I cook the beef ribs, because he was buying the same thing. I told him to follow Malcom's recipe, and he couldn't go wrong. He said he had a pellet cooker and a WSM. He said this will be his third try with the plate ribs, and the first two tries were disappointing. That surprised me, because I've made them a handful of times prior to today, and they've never been disappointing. I know it's not my methodology that is successful, which is why I told him to find howtobbqright Online. So, while I fail at brisket, he said his is always pretty good. Funny how not everyone can cook everything successfully. I wish I could. But my brisket foibles are for another thread, another day.

I don't get it either. Cook those dino plates like a brisket. When they probe tender...

Back