First Go at Tri Tip

Speeed

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Was grabbing a pizza yesterday and there is an Amish market next door. I walked over while waiting for the pie. Was giddy as a kid in a candy store when I saw they had Tri Tip. There was 2 in the case. I grabbed both.

This was my first time making it and it definitely won't be the last.
It was absolutely BANGIN.

Hickory smoked, reversed seared Tri Tip on the LSG.
Crimini mushrooms and steamed broccoli. YUM.
Used a Sam the Cooking Guy's suggestion for the mushrooms.

Rubbed with Oakridge Santa Maria and Carne Crosta.

vQIwJJ8l.jpg

a8T5J8Tl.jpg

5qVTugsl.jpg

0nZlThll.jpg

Loves me some TT and you did that one proud! Great cut - love the flavor and love that fact that within an hour of thinking of it, you'll be eating it. Can feed a few folks quick & easy, plus cold sliced TT sammiches the next day are always good.

Fark, now I want TT. :doh:
Nice work, sir! :clap2:

I live in California and have been doing Tri-tips for years. You did a great job.
When people ask me how to cook a tri-tip I tell them to treat it like a very large New York strip. I like a good crust and yours looks good too.
Wish I was there to help you eat it...

How do the Amish know about TT? Especially when most “butchers” back east with access to the internet don’t!

Anyways, great job! You got me salivating and I just finished dinner!

How do the Amish know about TT? Especially when most “butchers” back east with access to the internet don’t!

Anyways, great job! You got me salivating and I just finished dinner!

Well, they did butcher it kind of funky...

Very nice.

How'd you cook it?

I have tried one myself but I think I pulled it early and then sliced it wrong.

Very nice.

How'd you cook it?

I have tried one myself but I think I pulled it early and then sliced it wrong.

Smoked it on the offset at 250* till it was 130 internal. Seared it on the small griddle on top of the firebox. I will absolutely make it again.
It actually cooked relatively quickly. Right around 2 hours and that includes bringing the smoker up to temp before putting it on.

Back