Tri Tip Steaks

Great marbling on those steaks. You treated them right, Dom! Looks fantastic!

Here is my latest tri-tip cook

Here is my latest tri-tip cook

I double-seared on my Traeger for 90 minutes using hickory pellets. Finished it on my Weber with my rotisserie add-on for about 20 minutes over hickory wood chunks and lump charcoal.

The side is roasted corn slathered with mayo, 100% pure maple syrup, and soy sauce.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6sX6hGt

I have been grilling steaks on charcoal forever and propane grills for the last 50 years. One of the tips I've been reading lately is to salt the steaks heavily in preparation to get the water out. When I recently did that the steak came our very salty, barely edible, even though I wiped all the salt off before grilling. Why is that?

I dont know what you mean by "heavily?" Also, the salt that you are using could also be the issue. Standard shaker salt, what we use while eating dinner, is smaller and you don't need or use that much when grilling or smoking food. I suggest you use a much coarser salt such as Kosher salt. I use this exclusively for outdoor cooking. I also suggest you balance the rub with pepper or some other addition.

I think if you do this for your next cook, you will have a much better experience.

Keep us posted

Back