Deep Dish on the Kettle w/pics

Having never made a Chicago style pizza,I'm going to give it a try. Is it typical to put the sausage on uncooked as the photos show? I've always precooked the sausage before adding to pizza. It seems it would be awful greasy putting it on raw.

Having never made a Chicago style pizza,I'm going to give it a try. Is it typical to put the sausage on uncooked as the photos show? I've always precooked the sausage before adding to pizza. It seems it would be awful greasy putting it on raw.

I don't know the answer to that question. You could pre-cook the sausage if you wanted to for sure. The pizza did not see to be very greasy though.

Most Chicago Pizza restaurants, even on thin pizza that cooks faster, will use raw sausage when making pies. It cooks up fine. Probably one of the reasons why sausage typically goes on top of the cheese on thins?

I just ruined another perfectly good pizza, followed all of the directions, got my Performer up to 500, set the skillet on 1" firebricks on the grate, temps held steady at 475, the bottom and sides of the crust were as black as night after 1/2hr.. inedible.I'm not having good luck with pizza on a kettle. last time I used a pizza stone with the same result. What am I doing wrong?:crazy:

Great job. I'll hit that anytime. Like Ron said it's crust, cheese, veggies, meat then sauce. Also a little Parmesan on top when it comes out of the oven. We Chicagoans are anal about pizza.

Indeed.

Once, a decade or so ago, a buddy of mine was working as the manager at a Gino's East. One particular visit he invited me back into the kitchen and I got to build by own pizza.

Yes. It was awesome.

I just ruined another perfectly good pizza, followed all of the directions, got my Performer up to 500, set the skillet on 1" firebricks on the grate, temps held steady at 475, the bottom and sides of the crust were as black as night after 1/2hr.. inedible.I'm not having good luck with pizza on a kettle. last time I used a pizza stone with the same result. What am I doing wrong?:crazy:

Was your skillet cast iron? Were the fire bricks preheated? You cooked a good bit hotter than I did... not sure what's happening. What kind of pizza crust are you using?

Skillet was CI, firebricks were preheated as the kettle came up to temp, I used a standard pizza dough recipe, Maybe I need to put the bricks in just before the pizza. It's obvious the skillet got too hot.

Back