New Stumps Owner!!!

Pipin' Pig

Full Fledged Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
I am now the proud new owner of a new Stump's 223 gravity feed smoker serial number 100-0172

serial.jpg

Couple picks this morning (too dark for goods ones of the outside last night).
front.jpg

angle.jpg

Lubed up for my seasoning burn (350* for 2.5 hours):
lubbed.jpg

First butts going on:
1stbutts-2.jpg

Another shot of the first buts in the cooker:
1stbutts.jpg

Temp reads 220 at the top rack where my probe grate temp was 225 in the middle of the smoker:
220.jpg

Well my fist butt came off at 8:40 this morning (roughly 12h 40m) and was put to rest. The alarm on my second (12:15 PM so roughly 16h 15m) is going off as I type this so I got to run.

Man this thing is sweet. 16+ hours on a 2/3rds of a bag of R/O lump. And Temp recovery is magic when foiling the buts, and pulling the first off.

Hope to post more pics later. I am going to be playing this week I think. :wink:

Welcome to the Stump's club. I have my classic GF 222 CM going last night and through this morning with 2 butt and one packer for a friends party. I love mine, especially when I am sleeping at comps :-D.

But I should have gone with the 223 like people told me two years ago. In truth I did not think I could load the 223 into the toy hauler. But with the new wheel adapter, I might just need a reason to spend the gov stimilus check that came yesterday.

I think your grates are larger than the 20 x 20 of the older units??

Have fun with your new toy and congrats

But I should have gone with the 223 like people told me two years ago. In truth I did not think I could load the 223 into the toy hauler. But with the new wheel adapter, I might just need a reason to spend the gov stimilus check that came yesterday.

I think your grates are larger than the 20 x 20 of the older units??

Have fun with your new toy and congrats

Yea, as I was picking it up I was kicking myself for not going ahead and getting the 224. That said, this has a ton of room and seems to weigh a ton as well. I am glad for the dolly and cannot imagine how these things were moved without them. Even with the dolly, rolling it up and down the ramp on the trailer was tricky. Tricker for the trip down the ramp. I had to let it go before it tipped over backwards and landed on the street. At least just letting it go settled it down on it's flat legs.

As for the grates, they are 23 by 25. Can easily fit four large butts per grate from my measurements last night for a total of 20 butts at a time. I haven't tried yet obviously, but I would think you could do 2 briskets easily if not 3 per grate as well as 5 racks of ribs per.

One thing I noticed from last nights cook is I do not get as rich a smoke flavor as I would like nor a nice thick smoke ring. Any tips for that? put a couple of hickory chunks in the ash pan to smolder during the cook. The certainly caught and burned from what was left just now.

She finally shut down after 15.5 hours on about 2/3 to 3/4 of a bag of R/O lump. The first 2.5 hours at 350* and the rest of the cook at 225 in the middle of the cooker.

Next step will be running the biscuit test to check for hot spots.

nice looking cooker I bet you could have fit more in it

Were's the ABT's and the fatties

I know very little about a Stumps smoker but yours has a lot of cooking area.

I like the stainless as well.

Stump stopped making the "Elite". He now has gone back to the 222, 223 and 224. They are, in his words, the best of both worlds. The grate size of the Elites with all the proven simplicity of the 22X models. The main differences I find from the Elites is they do not come with a guru and they are back to one unit. They also do not have the 4, 6, and 8 shelf models, rather they have the 3, 5, and 7 shelf models but now you have enough room between each shelf to be able to do butts, where on the elites you could not use the shelf above when doing large butts.

They do now have a gradually widening chute to help prevent bridging.

Dude, I hate to tell you this, but...

There a dude with brown sandals, a steel blue t-shirt, and really baggy khaki shorts checking out your new smoker. You inadvertently caught him with that second photo. I'd call the police if I were you. He does have nice legs, though.

per.

One thing I noticed from last nights cook is I do not get as rich a smoke flavor as I would like nor a nice thick smoke ring. Any tips for that? put a couple of hickory chunks in the ash pan to smolder during the cook. The certainly caught and burned from what was left just now.

I get a pretty good smoke ring on my briskets and pork for that matter. I try two to three fist size chunks in the ash pan every hour for the first three to four hours, than I let it go. I use some mild woods (right now I am using Pistachio, cherry and apple), as to not over smoke.

Enjoy playing with the new toy. I remember when mine looked that shiny, is it wrong that I waxed it with car wax :-D

Dude, I hate to tell you this, but...

There a dude with brown sandals, a steel blue t-shirt, and really baggy khaki shorts checking out your new smoker. You inadvertently caught him with that second photo. I'd call the police if I were you. He does have nice legs, though.

Yea, she is a little shiny isn't she? I love the angle shot with the flower and the outdoor dining set in the reflection. One guy I showed it to last night had to ask where the smoker was :lol:. Wonder how long I can keep her that clean with at least a cook a week on her?

Back