Best retail places to find quality smokers?

bbqsmokerguy

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
Where are the best places in different geographical areas of the US that carries nice quality smokers in stock? I have visited several of the manufacturers, and of course, each one believes the smoker they build is the best. But a retailer would give a mostly unbiased opinion based on the feedback and use of the line of smokers he carries. (unless his margin is much higher on one over the other) I just need the business names and locations, and i can take it from there.

Thanks in advance,

BBQ Smoker Guy

Sams Northwest BBQ in Sherwood Oregon....A great retail shop in the Portland area with a good line of mostly charcoal and pellet smokers.

There is no one stop shop where you can see a bunch of different manufacturers of smokers. What type are you interested in?

St Louis BBQ Store is the best one I have ever seen. They keep 9 different brands of smokers and grills in stock. Stick burners, charcoal, pellets, you name it. Their web page is awesome and has a live inventory. Great, knowledgeable folks to talk to there as well.

What kind of smoker are you looking for? You have a couple of builders in Ga that make some high quality pits, but they aren't cheap (at least to me anyways), Stumps and Assassin come to mind.

As cheez59 mentions above the St Louis BBQ Store keeps a good inventory, I've never been but have talked to them about different smokers on the phone. Mason Dixon BBQ Services keeps a good inventory and they are located in MD and PA.

Unbiased retailer? Seriously doubt you are going to find a retailer that carries all brands. Just figure out what kind of cooker you want and get it.

You will not get an unbiased view from someone selling a product, do some research and narrow it down to how much you are comfortable spending (because price matters) then once you have a price range you can look at what styles cooker is best for your price point and desired style of cooking, then look at brands. Showing up at a retailer and letting them educate you is not the way I'd go. They want to sell you their product regardless of your needs and many retailers have barely a basic understanding of their own products let alone the ability to inform you on products they don't sell (this last statement applies to the box store type places). Let us know what you want to spend, and what you want out of a cooker, you will get more info here than any retailer I can think of.

St Louis BBQ Store is the best one I have ever seen. They keep 9 different brands of smokers and grills in stock. Stick burners, charcoal, pellets, you name it. Their web page is awesome and has a live inventory. Great, knowledgeable folks to talk to there as well.

This^^^^

Living literally down the road from the shop, I can honestly say they offer one of the best varieties of "in stock" cookers available. Also the staff is top notch. Whether you are there to drop $2000 on a backwoods, or buy a $4 bottle of rub, they take care of their customers like family. If you're looking for a backwoods or a Humphreys, they're the place to buy from.

Big Poppa Smokers , Fire Craft and St Lois BBQ Store are the ones with the best selection .

Where are the best places in different geographical areas of the US that carries nice quality smokers in stock? I have visited several of the manufacturers, and of course, each one believes the smoker they build is the best. But a retailer would give a mostly unbiased opinion based on the feedback and use of the line of smokers he carries. (unless his margin is much higher on one over the other) I just need the business names and locations, and i can take it from there.

Thanks in advance,

BBQ Smoker Guy

I'm confused. You have the internet at your hands with thousands of unbiased opinions and reviews on every smoker made from customers, but you choose to ignore that and instead want to find a retailer where will you will find none of that?

You're not going to get any unbiased opinion from any retail store or manufacturer, ever, anywhere. Does not matter if they are selling BBQ pits or tennis rackets.

Are you looking to buy, or doing research for a book?

Maybe along with the information and reviews, he also wants to take a peek under the lid...

Here in SoTex, there is a place called BBQ Outfitters that sells several different brands of smokers and grills.

http://www.bbqoutfitters.com/

I'm confused. You have the internet at your hands with thousands of unbiased opinions and reviews on every smoker made from customers, but you choose to ignore that and instead want to find a retailer where will you will find none of that?

You're not going to get any unbiased opinion from any retail store or manufacturer, ever, anywhere. Does not matter if they are selling BBQ pits or tennis rackets.

Are you looking to buy, or doing research for a book?

It could possibly be that he is a man that would rather look at something in person than in pictures and reviews. I was that way. I looked at hundreds of cookers online and spent scores of hours reading reviews and opinions. I spent dozens of hours talking to owners and users alike all over the country. It wasn't until I actually put my eyes and hands on just the right smoker that I was ready to pull the trigger and drop $3000 of my hard earned money for one.
As far as the unbiased opinion thing goes you will also find that hard to come by from anyone.

Last edited:
I would also vote for Saint Louis BBQ. They have the best selection of smokers I have ever seen. They don't carry every brand available obviously, but it is sure nice to go in there and put your hands on several types/brands. They have the knowledge to be a great help in making a selection. Another thing is they have a large inventory, so you can actually buy something and not have to wait weeks/months once you made a choice. Highly recomended

You will not get an unbiased view from someone selling a product

I would mostly agree with this. I spent most of my adult life in commission sales, and while my position was "nothing comes out of my mouth unless it benefits the customer", I was a rarity. Most of the folks I worked with would sell whatever earned them the biggest commission today, while mine was more of a long game - I wanted to make money on this sale, but I wanted to get 3 or 4 more from you too.

Ask here - these guys know more about smokers than anyplace in the world, and I've never seen a question go unanswered.

Ask here - these guys know more about smokers than anyplace in the world, and I've never seen a question go unanswered.

:clap2:

I just went thru the process of deciding on a smoker so the experience is fresh. I found the St Louis BBQ store very helpful. They had a ton of inventory on cabinet smokers (Humphry's and Backwoods) as well as some nice pellet smokers but the off set stick burner inventory was limited. They were very helpful and took time to answer all of my questions.

I decided on a LSG vertical offset after a ton of research and help from my wife. She pointed out how much I enjoy playing with fire:wink:

If you want to see a mix of cabinet and off sets in person, you might want to visit a local BBQ competition and talk to the owners. I have always found fellow cooks willing to talk BBQ and equipment.

Back