resturant depot.. my plan is to cut it in half
that way I get four ends.. my family loves
the ends.. My question is how long should I
expect it to take to reach 120?? I will smoke it
at 230-250deg with some maple wood.. MMM
I'm hungry already and I have to wait till
Saturday night after Peters Pond...

Thanx

Personally, I smoke them higher at around 300F.

Probably will take around 2 hours (@300F) but will depend on starting temp.

Personally, I smoke them higher at around 300F.

Probably will take around 2 hours (@300F) but will depend on starting temp.

Why so high :?: 300 that's more like roasting
I haven't decided on what rub yet.. I'm going
prep it either tomorrow or the next day..
give a good long time to get into the meat

Why so high :?: 300 that's more like roasting

My reasoning:

1. You are already starting out with a decent piece of meat, and don't need the long cook time time break down and tenderize.

2. Cooking at a higher temp you can achieve the well done meat and bark on the outside while at the same time maintaining the middle at rare or medium, whereas a lower temperature will result in more evenly cooked meat from outside to inside. It gives you a broader range of tastes and textures within the same piece of meat.

3. You still get great smokey flavor.

4. You don't have to wait as long to sink your teeth into a true delight! :biggrin:

2007-04-22PrimeRib5.jpg

Poobah has an excellent Prime Rib recipe. I was looking for the thread, but can't find it. He showed me a picture of the finished product and it looked awesome. I had tried it, but it came out looking nothing like his, but still tasted great.
I will continue looking for it.

Here is the recipe from the Brethren Cookbook anyway. Hopefully Poobah will chimie in and post a picture and update as needed this recipe.

Ingredients:
ok.. heres da secret. measurements are approx. cup teriaki half cup soy sauce half of a small bottle gravy master and half small bottle kitchen bouquet(or you can use a whole bottle of either if ya cant find one or the other). add about 3-4tablespoon of Montreal steak seasoning to this mixture and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then pour it all over the roast and rub it in. I also like to pierce the beat with a wide blade fork in several spots to allow the marinade to get in a little bit. If you have a heavy fat cap, add a few slices to that to allow penetration to the meat.

Cooking Instructions:
For the rub, use a heavy hand of Turbinado Sugar and rub it in well and let sit for about 5 minutes, then rub heavily with montreal steak seasoning. Rub it in and around the entire roast. When its covered amd disolviong, then add some more on top and just tap that on so it stays put. let the roast sit for about half hour, covered. First half hour to 45 minutes I cook in the hotspot or at 376-400 degrees, maybe a little higher. As oon as i put in the meat, damper down to allow temps to drop slowly to 275. When internal is about 90-100 degrees(or about 40 minutes) move it to your normal cookin spot and cook at about 275 till internal is 125.

At this point, either cover it and let it rest, or roll it around over searing coals to make a crust. Bring internal to 130, no higher than 135, then take it off and let it sit, wrapped loosly. Let it rest about 20-30 minutes. Temps climb into the 140s. this will yield rare inside and medium on the outboard slices. If you want to go rarer, take it off at 120 and grill to 130 then cover and rest. Usually, i roll it right over the coals in the firebox as close to the coals as i can get. This can also be used on roast beefs, top rounds...... any beef roasts. BTW.... i have seen 2 roasts at costco, one is a Boneless prime rib and the other is a RibEye.... I THINK there is a diffrence even though they are both Prime ribs cuts, one i think is just tribbed. It looked to me like the ribeye is the 'eye' of the cut, the inside section of the roast, the trimmed eye of the roast.... and the prime rib has that highly marbled outside pieces attached to it. The steaks are bigger and shaped different... ya know those pieces on the outside of the steak that are more well done than the cnter but has the best flavor... thats the stuff....

I looked Poobah's prime rib recipe..
Always looking for new prime rib recipes
last year I cook a lobster stuffed prime rib
she has pics somewhere.. for her Bday..
wanted to do something different I am pic
posting handicapped.. sorry I have tons of food pron
but can't figure it. and the wife won't help me
any more.. If somebody has the Poobah recipe
please share..
Back to my orginal question before I forget
I am going to smoke a prime rib roast..
Actually two going to cut the big boy in half
how long should it take to smoke my roast :?:
to 120 deg smoked at 230 to 250 deg..
after what I have been reading might pull it
at 105 to 110 and wrap it and let it rest for 30min
I'm planning on putting this in the smoker after
turn in at Peters Pond saturday after noon.

I've stated before that I prefer a kosher salt crust... which is great, I think.

As to what temp to use... Lower temps aren't to break down the connective tissue; what the lower temps to is allow a very even doneness across the whole rib.

My reasoning:

1. You are already starting out with a decent piece of meat, and don't need the long cook time time break down and tenderize.

2. Cooking at a higher temp you can achieve the well done meat and bark on the outside while at the same time maintaining the middle at rare or medium, whereas a lower temperature will result in more evenly cooked meat from outside to inside. It gives you a broader range of tastes and textures within the same piece of meat.

3. You still get great smokey flavor.

4. You don't have to wait as long to sink your teeth into a true delight! :biggrin:

2007-04-22PrimeRib5.jpg

Thats wicked pretty.. :p
I want to make a smoke ring melt some of the prime rib fat..

Naysayers, say as you wish... :wink::mrgreen:

275 is the zone. Starting high..

Calcualte at 20-35 mins per lb at 250.

On an offset, Start high(375+), damper down and let it fall to 250-275.. coast as long as you can at that temp, then its ok to push over 300 to finish. Pull at 120 and hit hard and fast on a hot grill to carmelize. Dont let temps climb to high on the grill. its only to set the bark. No more than a minute or 2.

attachment.php

I've stated before that I prefer a kosher salt crust... which is great, I think.

As to what temp to use... Lower temps aren't to break down the connective tissue; what the lower temps to is allow a very even doneness across the whole rib.

doesn't lower temp longer time give a deeper smoke ring :?:

You wont get much of a ring.. but you will get the smoke flavor.

the recipe and numbers above are what I do for a 17lb full roast. if your starting with a small roast, dont push it to high at the beginning.. no higher than 350, and the pit your using makes a difference. I monitor the temp drop from 375+ to 250-275 so it takes about 45 minutes on a large roast. If I do smaller roasts, I speed that drop up by bleeding some heat. To long over 300 finishes faster and it becomes wood roasted(like timscardz)...

and believe me.....This technique gives you an even cook throughout the entire roast.
attachment.php

fark.. now im hungry...

Grand PooBah

which would you do the whole roast
or split it like I was thinking..
my thought on splitting the roast I
will have four ends for those who like
the ends..

Naysayers, say as you wish... :wink::mrgreen:

275 is the zone. Starting high..

Calcualte at 20-35 mins per lb at 250.

On an offset, Start high(375+), damper down and let it fall to 250-275.. coast as long as you can at that temp, then its ok to push over 300 to finish. Pull at 120 and hit hard and fast on a hot grill to carmelize. Dont let temps climb to high on the grill. its only to set the bark. No more than a minute or 2.

I'll second this....this is the only way I prepare my Prime Rib anymore....my family wouldn't let me change if I wanted to :wink:

IMG_1143.jpg

Back