Mak 2 Star - Sear Grates/GrillGrates

loghead2510

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I think I finally made the decision to purchase a Mak 2 star over a Yoder.

I'm trying to decide whether to purchase GrillGrates or the Mak Searing Grate. If GrillGrates, is there a specific size I would need that would best suit the 2 star? Any input/advice is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Some like the MAK sear grate, I prefer "grill grates" the 19.5" panels will fit front to back on the grill. Do not cover the entire grill surface with the panels. It messes with air flow and can damage the grill.

Put me in the grill grates brand column...

Some like the MAK sear grate, I prefer "grill grates" the 19.5" panels will fit front to back on the grill. Do not cover the entire grill surface with the panels. It messes with air flow and can damage the grill.

I'm only seeing 19.25 on the GrillGrates site, is there somewhere that sells 19.5"?

Good to know, I was contemplating the same thing. I have a set of grill grate from my weber summit, I think they are 19.5" Thanks!

I have the 19.75” panels. I drop them over the OEM grates since I swap them out between grills. 2 panels is all you need for the MAK.

I'm only seeing 19.25" on their site, is there 19.5 sold somewhere else?

I have both and much prefer the MAK sear grates. Excellent airflow and can be used across the entire grilling surface. That a big deal to me when loading the grill down with a bunch of protein.

I have the 19.75” panels. I drop them over the OEM grates since I swap them out between grills. 2 panels is all you need for the MAK.

This was my question too. I’m also going with the GrillGrates. So you use two 19.75 panels. I have a new one star and my flamezone goes from left to right. Do you also go left to right as opposed to front to back when using the GrillGrate? I basically just want to grill over one size of the Flamezone. Kind of like the OEM from MAK.

Do you put the GrillGrates on top of the regular grates or do you take them out?

I have both and much prefer the MAK sear grates. Excellent airflow and can be used across the entire grilling surface. That a big deal to me when loading the grill down with a bunch of protein.

Robb are the GrillGrates you have the same size as the OEM that MAK sells? Do you sit on top of the regular grates or take them out?

FYI - There's a Mak 2 Star currently for sale in PA on fb marketplace and one in NJ as well.

Last edited:
I'm only seeing 19.25 on the GrillGrates site, is there somewhere that sells 19.5"?

Guess I misspoke on the length I believe 19.5 and 19.25 are one in the same they will fit, rails running front to back with out the original factory grates or you can run then on top, I see no difference.

I mostly grill in the webers.

Robb are the GrillGrates you have the same size as the OEM that MAK sells? Do you sit on top of the regular grates or take them out?

They are 19.25” and fit as a replacement (stock grates removed). Or you can put them on top of you want. Not sure why you’d do that though as they tend to slide.

They are 19.25” and fit as a replacement (stock grates removed). Or you can put them on top of you want. Not sure why you’d do that though as they tend to slide.

Yes I would definitely use as replacement with stock grates removed. Was just making sure it’s the right size for a tight fit.

I use (3) 19.25” panels running front to back. I’ve run them on top of the grates but they slide around a little. The 19.25” fit perfectly with the bottom racks removed.

I really like them. Great purchase

Last edited:
For searing steaks does anyone prefer using a cast iron skillet to provide a nice crust on the entire surface of the meat?

For searing steaks does anyone prefer using a cast iron skillet to provide a nice crust on the entire surface of the meat?

I flip the grill grates over and use reverse side instead of my cast iron. I’ve even done a pellet cooker version of smash burgers this way too (just smashed them before putting on grates).

Back