Breaking up ground meat

Maylar

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Grocery store ground meats come packed pretty tightly. When browning them I typically use a wooden spoon to break them up but invariably I get some clumps (it annoys me lol). Is there a kitchen "hack" for doing that better? I'm thinking of using my potato masher or something. Dunno.

I break it up by hand then a spatula as it cooks. There's other things that annoy me but thats not one of them..:-D

We have that meat chopper, but I only use it when the meat isn't 100% thawed.

I use a hard plastic spatula for taco meat, sloppy Joe's, etc.
For use in a sauce, like a coney sauce for example, I'll use the food processor to break it down.

Try a potato masher. I have the meat chopper from Pampered Chef similar to those posted above. However, a tip from SIL about the tater masher caused me and wife both to change to the masher.

Got a pic of your tater masher?
A quick look at Amazon for potato masher returns several different styles of tools including some that look like the ground beef tool.
I know what I think of as a traditional potato masher but would like a pic to be sure.

I use a OXO meat chopper made to do ground meat. I have found all of the OXO food prep tools are some of the best out there for the $$

Try adding a little water to the pan. It will steam off and prevent any fondt but I find the ground beef breaks up a lot easier.

i use a potato masher too...
but found this on a search...may work.

55dfa73770a9284ecd748839d3a5f7dd.jpg

Try adding a little water to the pan. It will steam off and prevent any fondt but I find the ground beef breaks up a lot easier.

This. A local hot dog shop thats been around for over 90 years makes their hot dog chili in huge pots and they add water to get the meat to separate. I do it all the time and it works great. You want to add enough water so it looks like a slurry. All the water will cook off, and if you dont want to wait for it to cook off, you can just wait till the meat isnt pink anymore and drain the water off and then add some butter or oil to brown.

Last edited:
Back