Was woundering if anyone could gie advice on building a sausage stuffer

Vosburg1

Found some matches.
Hey fellas, I am new to this site and am about to open a deer processing shop. Is there anyone who can share knowledge of building a sausage stuffer that will hold approx. 50 lbs that is powered by air or water. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I can't help you, but I'm dying to see what the final product looks like! That is one big bunch oflinks, and I know comercial stuffers of that size are very pricey.

Good luck!

I don't have any links for you, but I have seen one built out of PVC, and it used water like the one above. I seriously doubt it would work for you, because you are going to have to pass inspection, and I don't think PVC pipe is ok for direct food contact. You could try butcher packer in Detroit, that's where I get most of my stuff, and even though they have a retail outlet, their main business is wholesale. I have seen some pretty good sized outfits of all kinds in their office.

Thanks for the replies fellas, as far as being inspected goes, there is actually none required for wild game processing in Louisiana. I have checked with everyone and the only thing that is required is a Parish occupational license and Wildlife and Fisheries require that the animal be tagged with the hunters info. until it is processed. I really like the Zuber EZ pack, but they are hard to find and priced high.:icon_frow

I thought long and hard about this before buying a Gander mountain 15 lb unit. I wish I would have found the video below first, I likely would have built one insted. I usually grind the whole deer into burger then process into summer sausage. This would have been handy for that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diIB640dxN4&NR=1

It looks relativly simple. water in the bottom I asume there is a round plate with a double seal to keep the water back, then the valve would take some searching to find something that would work..

Hope this helps

Here some pictures of the one I built a few years ago. The cost was about $600. I think you could build it cheaper now with some design changes. Works very well on everything exept smokies, they need to be really wet. We also have the water pressure on the well set at 65lbs. Sorry I don't have any plans but it is a pretty simple design.

Stuffer pictures

Cheers,
Nate

Hydro Stuffer

Man Brewmaster, that is exactly what I am looking to build. Could you possibly give me a list of the parts needed, where id you get the piston for that beast! I deffinatley am leaning towards using PVC cuz I checked the price on 10" seamless stainless an it is $285.00 a ft.!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank ou so much........

I just typed this in a search engine....commercial sausage stuffers.

There are lots of different types including electric add on motor systems.

Good luck on your search.

Man Brewmaster, that is exactly what I am looking to build. Could you possibly give me a list of the parts needed, where id you get the piston for that beast! I deffinatley am leaning towards using PVC cuz I checked the price on 10" seamless stainless an it is $285.00 a ft.!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank ou so much........

I don't have a list of parts.

Most of the materials were purchased from Corrosion Products.

Corrosion Products

I made the piston at work out of UHMW.

Work

I am making another one soon out of clear PVC. I am buying that tube from Harvel Plastics

Harvel

Good luck,
Nate

Thanks for the replies fellas, as far as being inspected goes, there is actually none required for wild game processing in Louisiana. I have checked with everyone and the only thing that is required is a Parish occupational license and Wildlife and Fisheries require that the animal be tagged with the hunters info. until it is processed...

Have you checked with State Agriculture and Forestry Department? I did some digging and found these links. It sounds like someone has to give you some sort of approval on your facility, water, and sanitary disposal systems. Whether it's town/village/city, parish, or state wasn't clear.

http://www.dhh.louisiana.gov/offices/miscdocs/docs-206/food_drug/part10.pdf

Then this one makes no clear provision about processing game, but seems to be pretty explicit about processing meat for human consumption.

http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/portal/.../ApplyingforInspection/tabid/294/Default.aspx

Then there is this one (Section 111) about inspection exemptions, but it's not real clear...

http://www.ldaf.state.la.us/portal/Portals/0/AHS/TITLE_7.pdf

Then if you go to the specific exemptions, could they be interpreted as meaning that processing can't be done for pay?

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=86438

Not trying to rain on your parade...

Chris

Chris, I have checked and the key difference is "wild game", If I were processing it in a facility where I also processed domestic meat the restrictions would apply, but the state has no requirements to inspect for "wild game" processing as quoted to me by La. wildlife and fisheies. All you need is a Parish occupational license and the meat to be tagged with the hunters info. as specified by wildlife and fisheries untill it is processed or they will come in and bust your !%$, plus you wouldnt have many repeat customers if your place is not clean and sanitary. I am a Police Officer in for Baton Rouge Ciy Police and beleive me I checked, I don't need any trouble to come back and bite me in the butt.

Last edited:
Back