Blackstone appreciation thread*** pizza ovens griddles and more*** tips tricks and pics

Blackstone outdoor cookers have gotten quite the following here, even inspiring a posse of their own

For those who don't know they make pizza ovens, griddles and more. Never before have i been proud to say i was cooking with gas until a bought the Blackstone 28 inch griddle.

Its time these cookers received the recognition they deserve.

wow! nearly 8 years I've had my Blackstone. I rarely cook on it but every time I do it's a blast. I can't believe how these things have taken off in popularity. I would probably use mine more if it had a rear drain. I feel Blackstone owes me for being such a pioneer

What jackknife style brand of cooking thermometer do you guys like? Or non jackknife style?

assuming you mean an instant read thermometer?

thermapen is still the gold standard but recently I've heard rumblings about customer service. their dot makes an affordable alternative. I believe javelin carries a big portion of the "off-brand" market along with ink bird

Love my Blackstones. I have 2. I have a 17 inch that lives on the patio. Weekend breakfast on the patio is a thing for the redhead girl and I. I also have a 22 inch with hood and adjustable legs stand that travels in a storage bay of the motorhome. First thing I do when we arrive someplace is set up the outdoor kitchen with grill table and grill, Davy Crockett smoker, and Blackstone.

We go to the Indy 500 for 4 days every year and always have an after-race steak dinner while everyone else is fighting traffic. This year the son brought some prime beef tenderloin fillets. We put them in the smoker at 200F for about 45 minutes and when they hit 110F internal, we pulled them and gave them a quick sear on the Blackstone. They were wonderful.

We cook everything on the Blackstone - pancakes, sausage, bacon, burgers, grilled veggies, etc. One of our favorite breakfasts is hashbrown omelettes. This video is a little long, but does a good job of showing how to make them https://youtu.be/u_kdZy6-5qs

great video on the hashbrown omelettes. are you using fresh or premade hashbrowns?

I would probably use mine more if it had a rear drain. I feel Blackstone owes me for being such a pioneer

Interesting.

I don't think I would use mine near as much if I DIDN'T have the front drain.

I find it extremely useful for large cooks, as I can swap out the foil liner as I go. Rear drain might be just as easy, but I haven't really checked it out as I have all the space I need on the 36.

I recently rescued one from a friend's garage. Poor thing sat there unused for the past couple of years. Took it home, cleaned the griddle surface, seasoned it, and fired it up for burgers and hot dogs. Used it again shortly thereafter for shrimp and veggies.

Zero complaints. Even heat across the surface as checked by an IR thermometer. I liked the front drain. I guess to my mind it's easier to pull the mess towards you for disposal than pushing it to the back of the griddle. No idea why, just cause.

It lives on the front porch. I get the side eye from my better half occasionally because she can't set plants on top if the soft cover. Think the hard cover will also reduce some of the grease splatter too.

Last edited:
when I clean up with the front drain I end up splashing junk on the ground or myself. on my 17 with the rear drain it just seems easier to push everything back instead of pulling. interesting what one considers a design flaw others find a convenience. my og Blackstone also has no lid and the covers are leaky. I do fine months on end using an aluminum pan to tent the cover but I find such a work a round to be janky for a commercial consumer product

Funny this thread was the first one up when I logged in today.

I had a 36" BS a while back, but I didn't use it as much and it was a PITA to keep stored in the garage without people piling crap on it. Now it's just me and the Missus, so I sold it.

The ol' gal was cruising Walmart today and I get a text...."You want a Blackstone for $50?" I says Fark Yes I do. Scored me a 17" which will be perfect for us. Gotta get the conversion to a regular LP tank though. I imagine it will burn through a chitload of the little green bottles.

I'm back in the game! :clap2:

Funny this thread was the first one up when I logged in today.

I had a 36" BS a while back, but I didn't use it as much and it was a PITA to keep stored in the garage without people piling crap on it. Now it's just me and the Missus, so I sold it.

The ol' gal was cruising Walmart today and I get a text...."You want a Blackstone for $50?" I says Fark Yes I do. Scored me a 17" which will be perfect for us. Gotta get the conversion to a regular LP tank though. I imagine it will burn through a chitload of the little green bottles.

I'm back in the game! :clap2:

Nice score Ed!

Oh the good old days of scoring some great deals. I remember when I picked up a 28" for $50. Deals like these hardly exist anymore if at all.

kODtSTih.jpg

I got a model 1855 on Black Friday at Walmart years ago.
It's a 28" 3 burner
I've never seen it again.

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 33
my og Blackstone also has no lid and the covers are leaky.

I have a cover still in the packaging.

Ronelle turned me onto a custom fab guy on Etsy and I have a awesome combo sheet metal top for my OG 36 (stainless) as well as a windscreen the guy fabricates to the specific design.

Sat in the garage, unseasoned, for a couple years. Just broke it out last June/July so its been a year of couple times a month use. I keep it in the garage and will transfer to the driveway for main cooks.

No difference between splatter and 3 of the 5 cars in the driveway the kids drive that leak all kinds of fluid. Dawn mop and a bucket hot water keep the ants away.

Haven't had a lick of rust yet.

Well the "On The Go" Tailgater arrived today, the box looked pretty rough and there were a couple of small dents and the hardware package had split open and a lot of screws were missing. I managed to put the base mostly together with some screws from my shop and I'll go to Ace tomorrow and get the rest.
I have a question for those with Tailgater models, Do you ever switch the grill and the griddle around so you can use the 18,500 BTU "H" burner under the grill?

Back