Trimming a packer brisket

Mikhail

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Mik
I know you want to trim off a lot of teh fat cap and leave some area for smoke and seasoning to get in, but I was surprised to see in a Char Broil video that the cook cut out a most of the fat layer between the flat and the point. Do you do that? I thought you wanted to leave it in to render into the meat?

The video is here if you care to watch. It's about 7 minutes though, so not really necessary.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJGmprFIlJo"]How to Trim Brisket Fat - YouTube[/ame]

My science may be way wrong here, but I think it is the collagens breaking down that really moisten up what you eat. Rather than fat "rendering" down and somehow making the meat juicy. The specks of fat throughout the meat are another matter.

Anyway, that looks like a pretty conventional trim except I have never peeled back the flat from the point to really get in there and remove hard/thick fat. Makes sense, though, and you can then get even more rub in there.

I trim my fat cat down A LOT, more than normal. I just prefer it this way. The big fat pieces in between the flat and point. I trim it down as close to the meat as possible. All that hard fat is tough to render out. The only fat I visually see normally is the little bit of fat cap I have left

I take out that fat pocket also, he left the silver skin on though lol
I start out thinking this time in gonna get all the silver skin but it never happens.
I trim my fat cat down A LOT, more than normal. I just prefer it this way. The big fat pieces in between the flat and point. I trim it down as close to the meat as possible. All that hard fat is tough to render out. The only fat I visually see normally is the little bit of fat cap I have left

This is what I like to do. I don't want people cutting off big chunks of fat. The thinner fat cap turns into a sticky yummy crust.

Hey, If I have time to smoke it I sure as heck have time to trim it out right.

I have an extra shelf I can put in my PK. I wonder if I put the brisket on the lower and the trimmed fat cap on the top shelf if that would kind of mop it for me.

Hey, If I have time to smoke it I sure as heck have time to trim it out right.

I have an extra shelf I can put in my PK. I wonder if I put the brisket on the lower and the trimmed fat cap on the top shelf if that would kind of mop it for me.

Only one way to find out....

I cook the trimmed fat in a separate pan and use it for gravy for the dogs' food. They love it.

Sadly, no dog at this time. Lost our Sheltie a little over a year ago. We do have a cat that has been hanging around, although we are not feeding her. Yesterday she presented me with a mole she had caught. I could get to like this cat.

And of course don't forget that you can go to the butcher and buy a bunch of round or sirloin (very lean) and mix with all your brisket trimmings to make some of the best hamburger you'll ever cook.

I love a nice 30% fat mixture for a greasy/juicy burger.

and of course don't forget that you can go to the butcher and buy a bunch of round or sirloin (very lean) and mix with all your brisket trimmings to make some of the best hamburger you'll ever cook.

I love a nice 30% fat mixture for a greasy/juicy burger.

^^^ this ^^^

I take out that fat pocket also, he left the silver skin on though lol

What's wrong with leaving the silver skin on? I don't always take off all the silver skin and have zero issues with rub sticking or whatever challenges might be associated with not taking it off. I know some just like that clean look in general. Nothing wrong with getting it all off though of course.

To the OP for general purpose home trimming this is exactly what I do (plenty of silverskin left on)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVCgm5ldsGo"]Trim - YouTube[/ame]

And here is doing a full separation for some corned beef I made
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ds6Zk3JRQ4w"]Trimming Brisket (one way) - YouTube[/ame]

I trim the fat pocket out mostly as well. It won't render. If I find the vein, I remove that too.

On the cap, I actually like to leave at least a 1/4", up to 3/8" over the entire packer. I will trim the thick hard wedge that is often on the side of the packer. I tend to trim the thin edges of the meat off as well. To even out the thickness of the flat. I always remove the silverskin, this is not hard with a sharp knife, I prefer a 6" or 8" boning knife for this.

Back