Cooking pellet thought

Lemonhead

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I’ve been using a pellet smoker for over a year now and I really enjoy it. In my personal opinion I buy the cheapest pellets I can find. I’ve used lumbar jack , cooking pellets , pitboss, trager , and now smokehouse . Lumberjacks char - hickory blend does get the hottest but as far as flavor goes , their isint enough a difference for me to buy premium brands. Premium 100% of whatever hardwood is overrated. Give me the scraps lol

Not a problem!

You can have my share :biggrin1:

If it's good to you then that's all that matters. Doesn't hurt that you're saving money.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I've seen guys who use pellets for home heating. it's always a lively debate when that one comes up

I didn’t know it’s a big debate topic or I wouldn’t have posted it. I was just putting it out here for people getting into pellet cookers. I might not have a refined pallet I guess.

Use what works best for you. I've used the cheaper pellets like Pit Boss from Lowe's with great success, but I prefer Lumberjack for its low ash and good smoke.

I didn’t know it’s a big debate topic or I wouldn’t have posted it. I was just putting it out here for people getting into pellet cookers. I might not have a refined pallet I guess.

No worries. It was a good post. I've tried a bunch of brands and types of hardwood and really can't tell the difference either. I've been buying Lumberjack through Dicks when on sale which has been the cheapest option I have locally -- and also happens to be a great product.

I do see differences in ash production though I'm not sure that's a reason to pay a lot more.

Going back to the comment that preceded your response about using heating pellets. That's always been an interesting argument. There are some that don't view it as worth the risk to use a heating pellet even though they can be considerably cheaper. There is decent evidence that at least some of the heating pellets are produced side by side with the cooking varieties and are every bit as safe.

Personally, for the amount that I use I can't justify doing the research to try to figure out which pellets are okay to use. Also, heating pellets tend to be sold in larger volumes. I really don't need a ton of pellets at the moment, even if it would save me money

Back