THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trumanj

Knows what a fatty is.
Second smoke on my UDS this weekend. First time doing a brisket and did a pork tenderloin.

I've smoked before with friends and always used mustard on the brisket and a commercial rub.

This time I wanted to simplify things a bit, so I went with Olive Oil as a pre-rub and ground my own black pepper, kosher salt and some minced garlic as the rub.

I loved the flavor, it was by far better than using my previous commercial rub but the bark was not as good as I like.

What do y'all use for pre-rub? Should I stick with mustard?

Is there any other ingredient you add to the rub as a filler to make a better rub? (not so much to change flavor but texture\appearance)

My other question is related to thermometers. I have the Maverick ET-732 wireless thermometer and love it. I don't have an instant read and think I would like one :)

Ideally I want a Thermapen but wife says no. So what cheap alternative to a Thermapen do you use?

Thanks much!

Truman

Looks like range/response are the differences.

Last edited:
I don't use any slather or oil. I use a little sugar, no more than 5% of the rub. I also let the eub cure onto the meat for an hour.

Back