Discussion Thread -> "Beef: It's What's For Dinner!" Throwdown (Entries and Quality ON TOPIC *CLEAN* Discussion Only)

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Our new TD category is...

"Beef: It's What's For Dinner!
"

CHI_0497_zps37a3f18b.jpg

This was dupemaster's winning entry in the 2013 "Where's The Beef" Throwdown.
As chosen by peeps for his glorious victory in the "Kettle Cook-Off" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - READ BEFORE ENTERING

peeps said:
Throwdown Category Choice: Beef: It's What's for Dinner

Beef only, any cut. Featured meat in the meal should be beef only. Entry shot can include sides, beverages, etc...

Mmmmm...beef! :hungry:

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 5/30 through Sunday 6/8.

Entry pictures must be submitted by 6 a.m. Central US Time on Monday morning 6/9

Click here to READ THE RULES for the BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

The ENTRY and VOTE threads will follow Q-Talk rules, meaning QUALITY ON-TOPIC discussion of the category or entries only, please. Discussion is encouraged to take place in the DISCUSSION THREAD, but if you want a recipe, or are looking for details or have QUALITY ON-TOPIC comments to make about an entry or the category you can make them in the ENTRY or VOTE thread. Non-quality posts that are made here will be deleted and the offending member will be asked why they couldn't just post in the DISCUSSION thread instead, and in extreme cases or repeat offenders, disciplinary action WILL happen.

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
Throwdown entry

Ok I thought I would give Beef Short Ribs a try for this one. It something I have never cooked, but been wanting to for awhile

beef_ribs1.jpg

Started off by giving them a good dusting of Steak Seasoning. while the smoker was getting ready.

beef_ribs2.jpg

Couple hours into cooking, I had to wait for the flame up to clear the smoke so I could get a clear picture.

beef_ribs4.jpg

After 4 hours or so...

*Offical Entry pic*
beef_ribs5.jpg

Beefy goodness, and well worth the wait, and I am wondering why I waited so long before trying to cook them

Surf and Turf

Popping my TD cherry here. Found some Choice Boneless Ribeyes on Wednesday. Three really nice sized steaks for about $24. I also saw some Prime that were marbled so well, but $30 for less than two pounds, that wasn't going to fly.

The wife seasoned them up, we cut one steak in half for her and made two meals out of them. Both sets of steaks vacuumed sealed, one set in the fridge for today, one set in the freezer for later. She also remembered that she had a couple lobster tails that she found on sale in the freezer, so we put those in the fridge to thaw.

I soaked an ear of corn for the wife, de-silked it, buttered and seasoned, and got it on my gasser indirect at around 375*. I cut and seasoned some mushrooms and got them in my grill basket over direct heat. I sliced and seasoned a yellow onion and set the slices on the grill indirect. I put the two steaks on indirect and started bringing them up to temperature. Finally, I clipped the tops off the lobster tails, added a little EVOO and seasoning, ran a skewer through the two tails so they wouldn't curl up, and put them on indirect too.

The corn was done first, so I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in the microwave to rest. The mushrooms came off next and into the microwave too. The onions were starting to get soft, so I moved them in the the hot basket, got a good sear on them, and into the microwave. When the steaks got to about 125* IT, I threw them into the now really hot basket to do a reverse sear. I turned on all the burners and worked on getting some grill marks to the steaks. Pulled the lobster and the steaks at about the same time.

My original money shot pics turned out blurry, but when I was almost done eating, this piece just looked so pretty, I had to take a couple more pictures. Glad I did, but sorry for the messy plate in the background. These were some of the most tender, and best tasting steaks I have had in a long time.

Plated:

10352579_856698241025109_3952400393780265429_n.jpg

10409561_856698254358441_430203313803369855_n.jpg

10402666_856698287691771_4019801128950252378_n.jpg

Money shot (Entry):

10372353_856698354358431_2286376180150222912_n.jpg

Friday morning I promised the wife I would take care of diner. Swung by the butcher before lunch and picked up a couple tri-tips. Got home and finished trimming and seasoned and bagged them for a few hours. Most of the time I grill tri-tips but decided to hang them on the PBC for the first time. They turned out great! So much more flavor than my standard grilling!

*Unfortunately I was unaware of the current throwdown until after dinner so the quantity and quality of pictures is lacking*

Left: The wife likes basic Montreal seasoning only (please don't comment) Right: Oakridge Santa Maria Rub
IMG_3409_zpsaa017c01.jpg

Please use this photo as my entry submission
IMG_3413_zpsf732335e.jpg

This Is My Entry in The "Beef: It's What's For Dinner" Throwdown

THE BIG MEAT: Coffee Rubbed GIANT Bone-in USDA Prime Ribeye Cowboy Chop

Last week, I scored two giant prime bone in ribeyes from Double R Ranch & Snake River Farms, a Brethren vendor. I was strongly encouraged to try this cut, as it’s one of their most popular items, and I was assured I would not be disappointed. I was somewhat hesitant though, as ribeyes have grown out of favor with me, due to their high fat content in the middle of the cut.

Here they are in packaging, shortly after they arrived:

5282014BigMeatx2_zps3e3be78c.jpg

I put a large tape measure near them so you get an idea of how big they really are! The smaller one went in the deep freeze, while the bigger one was chosen for cooking on Saturday. Besides the rich marbling, I noticed the chops did not have nearly as much fat in the middle as I’ve seen from many other ribeyes, so I’m glad I took the advice of the customer service rep at Double R Ranch.

Here it is on the day of the cook out of the package:

612014BeefTDPlate1_zps5e846122.jpg

To prep the meat, I gave the giant chop a very generous rubdown with Cattleman’s Grill Original Cowboy Coffee Steak seasoning. I had tried this rub once before, and I have to say, it’s REALLY good. The rub is only available at All Things BBQ, also another Brethren vendor.

DSC_2778_zps54af651e.jpg

612014BeefTDPlate2_zpscbd54598.jpg

I had originally planned to do the whole cook on the Kamado, but after further reflection, I decided to use two cookers. Why? Due to the enormous size and thickness of the meat, I wanted it to cook as evenly as possible, so I basically did a reverse sear, starting with the Kingsford Oval, and finishing up with a lightening sear on the kamado using LOTS of lump.

On the Oval:

612014BeefTDKingsford1_zpsa02614d7.jpg

Turned it over after about 15 minutes:

612014BeefTDKingsford2_zpsf5b466f0.jpg

Now on the kamado:

612014BeefKamadoSear_zps2da77412.jpg

The temp was so hot I couldn’t hold my hand closer than 16 inches above the grate, which is exactly what I was looking for. The chop got about 2 minutes per side. The internal temp was a solid 120 degrees when I pulled it off, which is just perfect for us.

While the meat rested, the table was set:

612014BeefPlacemat_zpsfa89804e.jpg

Now plated:

DSC_2770_RichardSte257D6A1_zpsb35b4755.jpg

Let’s look closer:

5312014BIGMEAT2_zpsd8b533bc.jpg

Please use the above photo as my entry picture.

I have to say, this was one of the absolute best ribeyes I’ve ever eaten. The meat was very flavorful and rich with plenty of nice marbling, and the coffee rub caramelized beautifully so the outer part of the meat had a nice crispy char, but not burnt texture. The reason there is no pic of the meat after I cut into it is because I couldn't stop eating after the first bite. :icon_blush:

Thanks for checking out the big meat!

That's a beautiful ribeye. I have thought of buying from them. Just a little north of my budget. Think I'll wait and grab some for my birthday dinner...

Please accept this as my official entry to the "Beef: It's What's for Dinner" Throwdown.

Flat Iron steak, cubed up for the FireWire. Soaked in some Mojo Criollo

68E1DA5F-D752-466D-9097-C566DD36295A.jpg

AF734E1D-2EB7-4E18-85FB-70F3843952C1.jpg

Red taters chunked up for the Firewire and (not shown) coated with EVOO and some Ted & Barney's.

C1D64B87-8FAF-460E-B4CE-7DEE37B2A335.jpg

Taters and some ABTs onto the Kettle.

4A6F73DE-6040-44C5-855A-36B3C33175A6.jpg

ABTs were lightly sprinkled with Butcher's Honey BBQ rub

Snack time!

69733F93-5DEA-4EB9-99E2-F213B3614637.jpg

Beef was sprinkled with this when I dropped the Firewires on the Kettle.

0E19550D-38D0-47FC-9AF0-C2CB16DF243C.jpg

Reheating some fries and a hotdog that Tyler didn't eat the day before for his dinner while I got the beef on the fire.

BDE3DA00-29FB-487E-A1A8-4A067EC91902.jpg

Meat and taters! Please use the shot below as my entry shot...

A102B477-4C3F-4CF8-B019-0C54B49DA4F5.jpg

This was my first time having flat iron steak and it is a winner in my book! So tender and flavorful! Cooked up another for fajitas the next day and they were damn tasty as well!

Please accept this as my official entry into the "Beef: It's what's for dinner!" Throwdown.

Having a hard time getting some really GOOD beef here. But my go to lately has been either Home Ground Beef or steaks, I opted for a steak. Why not??? It's what's for dinner!

So I seasoned up a little strip steak with some Brazilian BBQ Salt, and combined some herbs and black pepper in my mortar and ground them fine with the pestal. The Steak.

Dragged the Gold Weber OTG (Complements of Sisters in Smoke) out into the driveway and lit up some Weber briquettes.

I went back upstairs to prepare a compound butter mixed with Farmers cheese and Bleu Cheese, and fresh picked Parsley.

Then it was back downstairs with a pewter steak plate for serving and toss the steak on my new grilling grates.

Hot off the grill and my polling pic if you please!

The fork shot.

With broccoli and Mac-n-Cheese and a nice glass of Corbiers Red Wine.

Thanks for looking! Vote for Moose:oops:

Back