Bacon Jam - No Pron But a Good Recipe

Pog Mo Thoin

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided that the Friday was going to be twice baked potatoes, cheese burgers, and spiral hot dogs (for the son and grandson) while Saturday was going to be baby-back ribs.

I wanted something totally different for myself and decided on pimento cheese cheeseburger and bacon jam. I have been using pimento cheese for my poppers and never had bacon jam. The pimento cheese poppers are really good and was hoping to transfer that taste to the burger. I ended up using Chief Toms recipe with a few minor changes due to logistics for the bacon jam. The recipe is below. I have to tell you, bacon jam is AWESOME! It was probably the best burger I have ever made. The pimento cheese I made was meh...I was short on time and rushed it and did not do any taste tests. But the bacon jam. I can't wait to put it on some toast this morning. Next time I will probably do a double recipe. I ended up snacking (tasting) it after I made it. Used a tablespoon or so on the burger and a little more on the twice baked potatoes. Not much left for this morning.

For the bacon jam:

• 1/2 lb bacon, sliced 1/2”
  • 12 oz yellow onion, sliced 1/4” thick
  • 2 tsp Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning (I used trail dust)
  • 2 tsp minced garlic
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 tbsp Hoff & Pepper Wake Up Call Hot Sauce (I used some other hot sauce that has a picture of a cartoon guy with flames coming out of his butt. Did not pay much attention after that. But it is good.)
  • 1/4 cup coffee (I drank all my morning coffee and was not going to make a pot so I added 2 tsp of freeze dried coffee into the mix. Dry)
  • 1/4 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme
To make the bacon jam, preheat a Finex Dutch Oven (I used a 12" cast iron skillet) over medium heat. Add the diced bacon and cook stirring frequently until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the bacon from the dutch oven using a slotted spoon. Drain bacon on paper towels. Add the sliced onions and Cattleman’s Grill 8 Second Ride Carne Asada Seasoning to the dutch oven. Cook until translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the garlic and brown sugar. Cook for one minute. Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat until the mixture is syrupy, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a food processor with the cooked bacon and pulse to desired consistency. Cool and store in the refrigerator.

https://www.atbbq.com/thesauce/recipes/bacon-jam-pub-burger

Slainte!

POG MO THOIN

I'll have to try that recipe.

I stock up at HEB every trip to Fort Worth.

Just bought bacon jam, salsa, and sauces to take back with me tomorrow.

I'll have to try that recipe.

I stock up at HEB every trip to Fort Worth.

Just bought bacon jam, salsa, and sauces to take back with me tomorrow.

Did you grab some Uncle Chris's Steak Rub? Good stuff!

Did you grab some Uncle Chris's Steak Rub? Good stuff!

No, but I'll grab some on the way through Burleson.

Although I don't use sauce, I also stock up on HEB BBQ sauces for gift / raffle baskets. $2.10 for Memorial Day Sale.

Last edited:
Back