$12 Test of a 50% Discount Sous Vide From InkBird

Stlsportster

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Few weeks back KenInk offered me a chance to buy one of their new sous vide units at a 50% discount. I’ve been toying with the idea for a while and almost bought one a few times...always backed out.

So I’ve been wanting to try it out but haven’t had the time. This afternoon I was at the store to buy some top round on sale and I see a couple manager specials...then a plan came together.

oZq8s8hl.jpg

My setup

zg7hd9ml.jpg

Initial test run

vbHLEArl.jpg

Interface

GkNpXnbl.png

While it was getting up to speed.

Lm3bGQrl.jpg

fiRA9lvl.jpg

X3JMkjMl.jpg

Up to temp and in the bath for 45 min for the thin ribeye and an hour for the chuck eye.

While that cooks I spiced up the chicken.

cdGH014l.jpg

fpep4whl.jpg

RLUuWMsl.jpg

Plus added another pack I had in the fridge.

gXsrAIal.jpg

Pulled the steaks, dried them off, and fired up the Blackstone. Then bumped the temp up for the chicken.

sDLIov2l.jpg

TwkknT9l.jpg

ChAjsoSl.jpg

XdzN1Osl.jpg

HmvzvJOl.jpg

lQioMsVl.jpg

Steak was fantastic. My 15 yr old devoured both steaks after we all had a sample.

Chicken is a different story. Flavor is full, but the lack of texture is strange. I need to try to blacken them on the blackstone too for a little crust.

uhZABvRl.jpg

j3RQIcyl.jpg

sQOH07cl.jpg

The 15yr old made some nachos out of the garlic butter.

The
UJ2JVVql.jpg

Overall the unit performed flawlessly.

5uutHjNl.png

Took about 45 min to get to temp from cold water. Held within 1 degree +- the entire time, at 2 temp ranges.

It all looks good. But that steak is making me hungry. I'm glad I have some shorties in the kettle right now. Glad to hear the unit preformed well. Thanks for letting us know.

chicken on the bone works pretty well , I use split chicken breast. also thick bone in chops

Took about 45 min to get to temp from cold water. Held within 1 degree +- the entire time, at 2 temp ranges.

I haven't done a larger cook with mine, but I did do a trial run and it worked flawlessly. Mine brought 1 gallon of 48 degree water to 170 in just over 28 minutes. I had a friend try the same thing with his anova and the time was within 1 minute.

How much water were you using? Would be good to know what to expect for when I do a larger cook.

I have been using a walmart SV that I got for 13.00, but as minerals adhere to the temp probes the unit started throwing error codes. I cleaned the probes with steel wool and have not seen this issue again, but I know one day there will be a total failure. I got the 50% off inkbird in last week as backup. Nice to hear its a solid unit. I also like the temp time graph since I love doing a 36hr chuck roast at 134F and finishing on CI grates in the webber at 600F+ degree(Get to see if there were deviations in water temp).

Thanks

I fill my containers with hot water from the tap. Only takes like 5 mins to get to temp at that point.

I have a 27qt container that was about 2/3 full? So 7 gallons by 66% is about 4.5 gallons. Tap cold so mid 60s when it poured.

Nice to hear its a solid unit. I also like the temp time graph since I love doing a 36hr chuck roast at 134F and finishing on CI grates in the webber at 600F+ degree(Get to see if there were deviations in water temp).

Thanks

To be clear that time temp graph was from my FireBoard which I used as an independent validation of temp. It was always about 1 degree off from Inkbird set temp.

The Inkbird does offer a way to calibrate but to be honest I’m not sure it matters.

I loved your use of a rib rack to keep food separated. I searched amazon for inkbird and was flabbergasted how much some of their products resemble that of other companies. They have a Thermapen and an Anova knockoff and temp controllers which are suspect. So I searched and 'SURPRISE - SURPRISE' it appears they're located in China. I like saving money when I can but when products are just cheap stolen copies of someone else's work.....

I loved your use of a rib rack to keep food separated. I searched amazon for inkbird and was flabbergasted how much some of their products resemble that of other companies. They have a Thermapen and an Anova knockoff and temp controllers which are suspect. So I searched and 'SURPRISE - SURPRISE' it appears they're located in China. I like saving money when I can but when products are just cheap stolen copies of someone else's work.....

Agreed, I won't purchase something made with "stolen" intellectual property.

Those steaks looked awesome. I am very intrigued by that method of cooking and will have to give it a shot one day. Nice experiments.

Agreed, I won't purchase something made with "stolen" intellectual property.

So here’s the story gents. KenInk is a Brethren and semi regular visitor to the forum. He has been using this forum to beta test his devices for a long while. Does he copy a product that is successful in the market and try to make his own, using cheaper methods and materials? Perhaps....but thats capitalism.

Is it made in China? Yep. So is the server this website runs on, I’d bet. And probably your cellphone or tablet too.

KenInk is respectful, takes feedback, provides lots of deals on this site in exchange for open, honest feedback.

If you don’t want a discount deal, don’t ask for one. But please don’t bash those that do, or the vendors that participate here.

Just my take. :focus:

Back