Hanging meat in smoke house

Smoke Dawg

Quintessential Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
IMF
I have tried to explain a few time how I have jerky and other meats in my smoke house and pictures tell how much better than I do so here is a few pictures of meat in my smoke house.

I know most don't roll with a wood smoke house but using the rack supports in a verticle would also work.

Flying .jpg

Fire .jpg

Comno .jpg

Loaded .jpg

View attachment 133269

View attachment 133270

View attachment 133271

Last edited:
I have only heard tell of the "Smoke Dawg house of smoke, model 101". I have never seen one on line. When do you think there will be more in production? I want one!

Brother Dawg, that is just awesome. Sadly the old time smoke houses are becoming a thing of the past. That's really a shame to. I still use mine to this day. It's old and ugly but what comes out of it is incredible.
Here is a little meat hanging in mine.

Last edited:
dude.........I'm so jealous....I have to have one.....my neighbors are going to love seeing what I put in my yard.

Brother Dawg, what kind of temps can you run and maintain in your smokehouse?

I can run under 100° in the winter if it's cold and have run as high as 350° but keep it under 300° now. Usually not more than 250°. Sweet spot seems to be 150° - 225° but I have lots of control with fire size and intake.

The first one I had was really dry from over 15 years of use and a ham started dripping juice that splashed on the fire box and the wall and ignited. I let it get hot trying to finish when I should have just finished in the oven. IT was 2° away from done.

No meat was harmed but I replaced the smoke house and learned a valuable lesson.

• Thanks
Reactions: SGH
Love the smoke house and the pics neighbor. I've been entertaining the idea of a small smokehouse in the backyard for some time.

And brother SGH's smoke house.

I can run under 100° in the winter if it's cold and have run as high as 350° but keep it under 300° now. Usually not more than 250°. Sweet spot seems to be 150° - 225° but I have lots of control with fire size and intake.

The first one I had was really dry from over 15 years of use and a ham started dripping juice that splashed on the fire box and the wall and ignited. I let it get hot trying to finish when I should have just finished in the oven. IT was 2° away from done.

No meat was harmed but I replaced the smoke house and learned a valuable lesson.

Brother Dawg, that is awesome that you can run that wide of a temp variance. My old smokehouse is in excess of 50 years old (originally built my Paw). I never run mine higher than the outside ambient temp for fear of fire. It's great that you have that option. If my smokehouse burned down that would not really be a big deal it's self. But I have fruit trees planted all around it that I would hate to lose. Here is a shot of the back where you can see my fruit trees growing both beside and over the old smokehouse. Smoked Kumquats, it just doesn't get any better than that:thumb: If you click on the pic and enlarge it, you can see the faint blue smoke trickling out of the upper, right corner.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with a wood smoke house as long as your using a good "smoking" wood as the build material. IMO, a wood smokehouse imparts a distinct flavor/aroma on the smoked meats then you would get with todays SS smokers/house's.

Really awesome guys! I've had an interest in this old world tradition for a long time, always wanted to build one of my own, but never seem to have the time. Living in the parched West, it never seems to be cool enough to do it the old way. I'm interested in your construction though, I've seen smoke houses where the heat source was external and the smoke piped into the main chamber.

Really awesome guys! I've had an interest in this old world tradition for a long time, always wanted to build one of my own, but never seem to have the time. Living in the parched West, it never seems to be cool enough to do it the old way. I'm interested in your construction though, I've seen smoke houses where the heat source was external and the smoke piped into the main chamber.

My smokehouse is very old. As such, it has no bells or whistles. I simply build a small fire inside of the smokehouse on the old dirt floor. The same way my grandfather did it many decades ago.

Last edited:
Back