Best Dutch Oven

Thanks for the help. I do have a Le Creuset outlet by me and it’s always 30% off there which is huge since you can’t use coupons anywhere on them. I’ll have to find somewhere that has all of them and see which I want I guess.

I like my Lodge ceramic enameled over the Le Creuset just for price alone. I really can't tell the difference.

I also have a really, really kickarse old non enameled one inherited from my great grandmother. I have no idea what brand it is, but it's cooked about a 1000 meals of fried chicken over its life. Heavy as fark.

Thanks for the help. I do have a Le Creuset outlet by me and it’s always 30% off there which is huge since you can’t use coupons anywhere on them. I’ll have to find somewhere that has all of them and see which I want I guess.

Look and see if you have a Tuesday Mornings around you. I have seen a lot of Staub there, at a pretty good discount.

Enameled CI is easier to care for,REAL (unenhanced) CI is almost indestructible.There is a reason they have been around so long.Just depends on how "purist" you are.They both cook wonderfully when properly cared for.

I had the Lodge and it's too small. The bottom curves in and takes away cooking space. I now have the Cuisinart, Cooks Illustrated Best Buy, and I like it a lot. I didn't want to spend the money for the Le Creuset.

I did a lot of research on this very topic about a month ago. I ended up getting two Staubs. The black interior means no staining, and the finish is just incredible. I purchased a 9 qt round for stews/chiles and a 5 qt for more everyday use. The only negative I see between Staub and le creuset is the latter has larger handles. Not that noticeable, though.

I found a #8 Griswold Chicken Fryer and Lid and that work well for me as a Dutch oven. The fact that it will out live me is nice. I also just found Solidteknics and backed one of their kick starter for their USA made pans. Iam really liking the 11 inch pan and Grill/lid combo.

I’ve been using a Cuisinart enameled cast iron Dutch oven for years. Excellent quality...I’d put it up against any of the fancy shmancy ones. Paid $60 and I think they’re still that price.

I live 30 minutes from the Lodge factory/outlet. Their clearance section is great! Hard to beat cast iron for long life. I have a 12" deep (8 qt instead of 6 qt) dutch oven and it is very versatile.

Cuisinart round 7qt for me too. 1/3 the price of LC works as well. I do have a LC goose pot and talk about heavy. My wife can barely lift the lid but what a pot for gumbo.

I have two Lodge standard cast iron dutch ovens. An 8qt camp stove with legs and a 6qt stove top . They've both served me well. In fact I'm simmering chili in the 6qt as I type.

I have a red enamel coated tramonita, It has held up very well. Probably my favorite pot or pan that I have in the kitchen.

I have a le creuset in flame orange. Enamel on iron. Its bullet proof and it just keeps on trucking. When I was worrying over the purchase some 15 or 20 years ago, I attended a banquet at a fancy smancy resort in Palm Springs. Outside at night on their serving tables they must have had 30 of those Le Creuset dutch ovens doing duty. When I saw that, I went ahead and invested. Never looked back and every time I take it out of the cupboards to use it brings a smile to my face

I have a 14” cast lodge. Has to be close to 20 years old. Thing is awesome. Zero rock to the lid still, even after cooking with it in my wood burner.

I have several LC vessels.
They are expensive. They will last forever if taken care of.
One of mine does have a stained bottom but it gets used a lot.

If you go with LC you won't be disappointed.

For those with the Le Creuset how well do the insides clean? I have read quite a few things on line about them staining.

I have several, with the 7 qt Le Creuset being my favorite, have had it 20 years. Yes some sauces will stain it however a little Bar Keepers Friend makes it look like new. Also remember to oil the rim of the pot and lid prior to putting away to prevent rust.

Back