Savory Fire Grilled Ribeye Cap Kabobs on My "new" Santa Maria Grill, Courtesy of ssv3!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
Sako(ssv3) dropped by on Saturday to bring me my long awaited Santa Maria grill. I got it for a great price, PLUS, the bottom of the firebox is lined with firebrick, AND, it came with a custom made metal firebox cover to extinguish the coals. What could be better than that? After we unloaded it and got it situated, I had to pay it forward, so I took him out to lunch at one of my favorite taco places and we dined on delicious tacos al pastor, but that's a story for another day.

Yesterday, I went rumaging through the chest freezer and found some ribeye cap, which I thought would be great to cook over oak on the Santa Maria grill. Here's the marinade recipe I used:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132558

After the ribeye cap thawed:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%206_zpsmmryinvc.jpg

Cut up:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%207_zpstfetchne.jpg

The missus whipped up the savory marinade:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%208_zpswaiww2m9.jpg

In went the meat:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%209_zpscx7ra3xq.jpg

Then the meat got thoroughly coated in the savory goodness:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%2010_zps46wdwo7r.jpg

After that, I covered the bowl with plastic wrap so the meat could marinate fully.

A few hours later, I fired up the Santa Maria. I dumped a full Weber chimney of fully lit KB into the firebox, then added a couple of oak logs:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%201_zpskd9kja4p.jpg

About an hour later, this is how it looked:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%203_zpstdmx06sk.jpg

Time to get cooking!

After lowering the cooking grate, I put the kabobs on:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%204_zpsvrqbspvx.jpg

The lighting was poor, so didn't take any more cook pics, but here's how they looked after I brought them in and plated them:

Ribeye%20Cap%20Kabobs%205_zpshohb2wad.jpg

They were mighty tasty, though I still prefer this marinade on chicken vs beef. Thanks again to Sako for helping me add another cooker to the mix, one I will be using often!

That looks killer Mosse :thumb: I will be trying your marinade very soon. And yes the SM is my favorite toy.

Now that's what I'm talking about moose!! Go get em. I figure something bbq delicious involving SoCal somehow leads back to you guys :)

Btw, who fabricated your SM grill? Can you share pics of your rig?

Nice!!! Couldn't have gone to a better home, a fellow brethren and friend. :thumb: That marinade though :shock: Sooo good especially if you're into savory as I am.

Tacos we had were another story. So good that I was visiting a friend later that same night and I went back again. :becky: :hungry:

Killer al pastor tacos!

boBnKH5h.jpg

Nice!!! Couldn't have gone to a better home, a fellow brethren and friend. :thumb: That marinade though :shock: Sooo good especially if you're into savory as I am.

Tacos we had were another story. So good that I was visiting a friend later that same night and I went back again. :becky: :hungry:

Killer al pastor tacos!

boBnKH5h.jpg

Umami Tsunami !!

Now that's what I'm talking about moose!! Go get em. I figure something bbq delicious involving SoCal somehow leads back to you guys :)

Btw, who fabricated your SM grill? Can you share pics of your rig?

Pretty sure Moose wont mind but here is the grill and it was manufactured by Santa Maria BBQ Outfitters. Great grill but Smitty is onto something. :heh:

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

upload_-1

The firebrick mod I did

upload_-1

The custom cover I had made to avoid a unwanted bbq block party aka fire :grin:

upload_-1

Fantastic. That does it, I'm trying that marinade soon and giving it a ride on my Santa Maria. I agree with Tom above, my SM is a favorite toy.

Oh Ya.! But now what will Sako grill on.? Is he upgrading.?

:heh::heh:

a custom 3/16" open face pit. My bro and I came up with this 48x20 prototype with a 100lb rotisserie kit. This one is his but we plan to build a 36x20 for me. We've got a few ideas of optioning it out with a roti or a Santa Maria style but it'll be used primarily with my swords "skewers" Still on the drawing boards but it came out pretty solid.

HXm8fG6h.jpg

With the roti off. Collapsible side shelf

2bL4aBKh.jpg

Grate to grill without skewers

PybtDi8h.jpg

Lining the bottom with firebricks

EQkY4MRh.jpg

Sako, that New grill is awful shallow - plus with firebrick even more so - you gonna lay skewers in those slits? Lil Deeper wouldn't be better.? :confused: I guess with only red coals and no flame be fine.......

Sako, that New grill is awful shallow - plus with firebrick even more so - you gonna lay skewers in those slits? Lil Deeper wouldn't be better.? :confused: I guess with only red coals and no flame be fine.......

Yep! Made shallow on purpose. Burn it down to red coals and grill hot and fast with meat on the skewers. Hope to put it to work in the next week or two so I'll take plenty pics it in action and intended use.

Congrats Moose on the new to you cooker and a fine looking cook.

This whole post is fantastic, Food and rigs look terrific

Back