Brisket Smoke Then Sous Vide…Anyone?

How do you implement that in your process? how long do you hold, temp, etc?

I'm constantly experimenting, but this is what it looks like at the moment.

1. Smoke in offset at 275°F-ish unwrapped until internal temp reaches 190-195°F.

2. Remove and wrap tightly in foil until internal temp comes down to around 160°F.

3. Hold in VEVOR warming oven set at 150°F for 12 to 18 hours depending on when people want to eat and/or sides are ready.

4. Unwrap, slice, and serve.

sous vide first then finish on the smoker/grill

Its not true BBQ, but I will cook ribs or a pork shoulder in the sous vide (152 degrees for 24 hours) then finish them with an hour in my UDS smoker to add some flavor and dry them out just a little. I have found it is an absolutely fool-proof way to make great ribs, with almost no effort (perfect for a workweek meal). Sous vide has been a game changer on steaks as well as butcher cuts of meat. I use a set up similar to the one pictured earlier in the thread with an old cooler with a hole saw cut through the lid to insert my strata home sous vide cooker (around $50 from Monoprice).

Food goes on the rack above the water in a foil pan and is loosely tented so steam can escape but water cant drip onto the meats. Key to turning out amazing results is bringing brisket to 185F- 190F and having a good bark set before putting it in the wet air sous vide cooler.

What is the sv machine set to and what is the actual temp in the cooler’s air?

Back