My Easter Dinner

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I usually spend my Easter taking a picnic into the wild for the day. This year was a bit different, but I had a short hike and enjoyed the day anyway. :grin:

I was fortunate to find morel mushrooms the other day. The area I hunt was hit by a wild fire 2 years ago, most of the trees and landmarks are gone but I was able to find my favorite morel areas.

LdUkJiW.jpg

MhUqLWD.jpg

Wodm7vt.jpg

X1RLGcY.jpg

I've dried most of the morels, marinated a few, fried some... for this supper, I sauteed them in garlic butter with wild onions.

As7oCl6.jpg

I butterflied a section of whitetail backstrap from rifle season..

TJRUqQc.jpg

FTu4inC.jpg

hooJ0tC.jpg

gave the backstrap a quick cure for 2 hours...

KNKelxB.jpg

gathered wild onions...

vtApXLq.jpg

3FWG8Hu.jpg

sauteed the morels in garlic butter before stuffing the backstrap..

MqzSB01.jpg

wgvv8Mt.jpg

rolled and wrapped in bacon...

tP96GXr.jpg

Into the drum til done.

rzSRCi4.jpg

uY95sTq.jpg

goob2yO.jpg

jQmJzZH.jpg

xlXmJh7.jpg

I served the stuffed backstrap with more sauteed morels and wild onions.

eSqUpLb.jpg

LRqVy1j.jpg

This is one of my favorite meals. Reminds me of why I love hunting and gathering so much....and love being out in the wild.

Hope everyone had a nice Easter weekend. :grin:
Thanks for looking!

Outstanding! The best foraging I come up with here in NTx is poke salad, wild onions, dewberries,sand plums when ripe. What IT did you get the backstrap to? Still have a couple whole ones in the freezer that need some TLC. Again great job! Thanks for sharing.

Outstanding! The best foraging I come up with here in NTx is poke salad, wild onions, dewberries,sand plums when ripe. What IT did you get the backstrap to? Still have a couple whole ones in the freezer that need some TLC. Again great job! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Larry! Sounds like good foraging in your area!
I usually take the backstrap to med rare but when it's cured and stuffed I take it a little high... around 145F. The cure keeps the meat nice and moist.
Hope you have great luck gathering t:grin:his year!

Looks like no stores were harmed in the making of this meal! :laugh:

Natural food at it's finest - I love all your threads, but this one has its own kinda cool. :cool:

Pretty spectacular, Jeanie! I hope your Easter was as good as it looks.

I have a confession to make - I have never eaten a morel mushroom. Theyre all over up here too. :oops:

Good gawd...that is my favorite, venison and morels. Looks incredible. Never had much luck finding them though, but I've got good friends who are better and hook me up. I really don't get it, maybe they just don't grow at my place?

Did two venison tenderloins for Easter this year as well and some of my beef rib steaks. I'll eat venison over anything.

Looks like no stores were harmed in the making of this meal! :laugh:

Natural food at it's finest - I love all your threads, but this one has its own kinda cool. :cool:

Pretty spectacular, Jeanie! I hope your Easter was as good as it looks.

lol No stores were harmed. I shoulda used my own bacon though. :laugh:
Thanks Greg! Hope your Easter weekend was amazing! :grin:

I have a confession to make - I have never eaten a morel mushroom. Theyre all over up here too. :oops:

Heck....You need to go get some! They're pretty tasty! :grin:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Good gawd...that is my favorite, venison and morels. Looks incredible. Never had much luck finding them though, but I've got good friends who are better and hook me up. I really don't get it, maybe they just don't grow at my place?

Did two venison tenderloins for Easter this year as well and some of my beef rib steaks. I'll eat venison over anything.

I bet they grow close to your area! There is a morel site online that shows where and when people are finding them each year. Hope you check into it!
Nice that your friends keep you supplied though! :grin:

Dang... Bet your dinner was fantastic! I agree with you, it's hard to beat fresh venison. :grin: Thanks!

Another stunning feast.

Again, I'm certain you could easily take/make Pioneer Woman's lunch.

Back