KCBS Involvement

I am hopeful that they will have some announcements soon about next year. It does sound promising that they mentioned Sponsors.

Also, after the closed session, there was a vote to suspend using the judge seating program after Nov. 1st and back to random chip draw. Here we go again on that topic.

Also, after the closed session, there was a vote to suspend using the judge seating program after Nov. 1st and back to random chip draw. Here we go again on that topic.

When I first read about the change with seating, I wanted to spit in frustration, but as I was wearing a mask at the time, it seemed a bad idea.

After some reflection, I'm left wondering if this decision was taking into account the extensive gaps between judging opportunities, and recognizing that historical scoring trends are essentially useless until judge's palates are re-calibrated away from Dickey's and AM/PM rib sandwiches.

Suspending new judging classes is the only way to get existing judges more experience. I realize judges are the backbone of KCBS's revenue/membership stream and they will never bite the hand that feeds them. But continuing to grow the judging pool only dilutes opportunities to judge, even without the current pandemic situation.

I am really not trying to be argumentative, which is hard here because everyone just always wants to prove their point. But this seems like putting the cart before the horse. On any given weekend (pre Covid) there are probably less than 5 contests with 50 teams. On average probably on 2-3 100 team events per year. The "points chase" in reality only affects 3-5 teams per year, for the last few years it has been a two horse race after the first half of the year.

I will never be one of those teams. I am willing to bet that if you apply whatever new formula they are coming up with (which I still think is non-decipherable with the current information) to the last three years, the biggest change at most would be 1st and 2nd swapping places. I think the more important picture is can this new structure benefit a broader range of teams, not just the elite ones.

In closing I am kind of disappointed that this is a focal point for them right now. I think the focus should be getting more events, more teams, and more excitement around the KCBS. I definitely think there should be a clear definition and payout for the TOY, but is that really the biggest challenge the KCBS is facing right now?

Couldnt agree more with last statement !! We need contest we need to grow the sport , not put so much focus on TOTY cause only handful teams have ability to chase that with all that travel

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first read about the change with seating, I wanted to spit in frustration, but as I was wearing a mask at the time, it seemed a bad idea.

After some reflection, I'm left wondering if this decision was taking into account the extensive gaps between judging opportunities, and recognizing that historical scoring trends are essentially useless until judge's palates are re-calibrated away from Dickey's and AM/PM rib sandwiches.

*****I AM NOT ACCUSING ALL JUDGES OF THE FOLLOWING BEHAVIOR!!!*****

If a judge gives everything an 8 or 9 does it even matter?

There's nobody quicker to flip out a 5 than me, but I'm sorry, you guys are cooking some top notch looking and tasting food.
On the other hand if you get a 9 from me, you deserved it.
Ed

Back