"It Came From the Water!" Throwdown (Entry & Discussion Thread) LASTS Through Monday, July 26th!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Our New Throwdown Category is...

"It Came from the Water!"

MjQURzUh.jpg

This was OferL's Hot Smoked Salmon entry in the 2020 "Fish and Seafood" Throwdown...

As chosen by sudsandswine for winning the "Anything but Charcoal" Throwdown.

CATEGORY DESCRIPTION - PLEASE READ:
sudsandswine said:
Hmm....just went through the last year's worth of Throwdowns, one idea I had was a "From the Water" Throwdown - with the price of beef and pork up we've been rotating in fish and seafood more often. A lot of different ways you could go with it, just that the main part of the dish come from the water.

You may submit entries that are cooked from Friday 7/9 through Monday 7/26.

Entry pictures must be submitted by Noon Central US Time on Monday 7/26.

Click here to read the rules BEFORE entering this BBQ Brethren Throwdown...

Best of luck and even better eats to all!

Last edited:
This is my official entry into "It Came From the Water!" throwdown.

I picked up some farm raised whole shrimp from Costco on Friday. This was my first time cooking raw shrimp and it was a lot more work than I thought in getting them cleaned up well. I now have a better appreciation of how pretty the ones I see in the store look. :clap2:

I cooked this on my Weber Silver gasser.

Please use this photo (It's the only one I have............ LOL!)
*notice the NEW cast iron grates and the NEW cooling rack as well

sqDDEjRl.jpg

This is my official entry into "It Came From the Water!" throwdown.

I picked up some farm raised whole shrimp from Costco on Friday. This was my first time cooking raw shrimp and it was a lot more work than I thought in getting them cleaned up well. I now have a better appreciation of how pretty the ones I see in the store look. :clap2:

I cooked this on my Weber Silver gasser.

Please use this photo (It's the only one I have............ LOL!)
*notice the NEW cast iron grates and the NEW cooling rack as well

sqDDEjRl.jpg

I bought those same shrimp a while back...price was right, but I didn't enjoy the goopy part of the head removal lol. Yours look tasty now though.

I bought those same shrimp a while back...price was right, but I didn't enjoy the goopy part of the head removal lol. Yours look tasty now though.

I didn’t like that part either. I’m not sure I would buy them again, but I’m glad I gave it a try.

I'll throw my hat in the ring for this one.

I was fishing for coho off the coast of Saint Joseph, MI two days ago and a fish wrecked the starboard side downrigger slider line I was pulling with a Pro King trolling spoon. Only had 15 pound test on that rod and it took a lot of patience and wore my arm out getting it to the boat but an hour later we managed to get this monster in the net!

xd9K1E2l.jpg

Got it home, cleaned and neatly trimmed up for a bath in my special brine recipe.

aqZhJSXl.jpg

After 24 hours in the brine it all comes out for a rinse and paper towel dry, on the drying racks for 12 hours to form a shiny pellicle so it takes the smoke and has a good texture.

ic2JScfl.jpg

Some of the pieces were thick! Most finished in 3-5 hours but the big chunks took 6-8 hours, I love smoking fish on my GMG Prime the heat control keeps it smoking and holds steady right in the 170* range.

nWYRt97l.jpg

This what the real deal looks like when you allow it enough drying time and keep temps low while it's smoking, you get a nice shiny firm texture.

2X8J6Nbl.jpg

Come get some it's ready and delicious!

OQ1tVbol.jpg

I'll throw my hat in the ring for this one.

Is this your entry photo?
xd9K1E2l.jpg

Please be sure to read the rules for entering the throwdowns. Especially rule #2.

2. Only one picture from your entry can be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise the moderator will choose and the moderator’s decision is final.

Thanks for entering the throwdowns!

Is this your entry photo?
xd9K1E2l.jpg

Please be sure to read the rules for entering the throwdowns. Especially rule #2.

2. Only one picture from your entry can be used for voting, so please specify which one you want used, otherwise the moderator will choose and the moderator’s decision is final.

Thanks for entering the throwdowns!

I read the rules before posting, I'm fine with the mod choosing the one they prefer.

Back