• Crust rules...that's where the flavor is

Votes: 20 87.0%
  • As long as I can taste the smoke i'm happy regardless of the texture

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters

Fwismoker

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
What's more important to you the texture of meat or smoke flavor?

As far as flavor goes what's more important to you? For me hands down it's texture...that's where the flavor is. By texture i'm talking having a good maillard reaction from the natural sugars in the meat and caramelization from added sugars.

I don't care if it's the tasty crunch from some fried chicken, the crust on a seared steak, the bark on a butt, or something like cheese that's been caramelized under a broiler.

People seem to be fixated on achieving what they called smoke flavor and IMO it's been over emphasized. Honestly i'm not even sure what good smoke flavor is anymore because to me it's best when it's subtle and not over powering. I want it to be clean and a secondary undertone to the texture and the juiciness of the meats. Most people I think that dislike smoke foods have had foods that were improperly over smoked.

Anytime i've fed BBQ to people that say they don't like smoked foods have loved it...no mention of smoke ever came up, and IMO that's the way it should be.

Good BBQ starts with maillard reaction and caramelization.

BBQ IMO is smoked meat!! Strong smoky essence rules the day, but when you say texture I think of pure succulence melt in your mouth goodness. Both of these are of the highest importance to me.

I believe there is balance between smoke and texture.

Texture to me is quite important, having nice bark with a rich smokey flavor is where its at. Having said that, too much smoke is not good eats.

Definitely have to have some smoke and a really good bark to impart flavor.

Why not both?

For BBQ I expect a nice smoke flavor as well as the unctuous luscious succulent pieces of meat. With out both the bbq isn't good.

Yeah, I don't think of carmilization as texture. That fits the flavor category. Flavor is king in my book but the taste of something cooked properly in a smoker compared to the oven is no contest.

Kinda a hard question to answer. I can surely taste the difference between a pellet smoker and a stick burner and prefer the stick cooked food.

Why not both?

For BBQ I expect a nice smoke flavor as well as the unctuous luscious succulent pieces of meat. With out both the bbq isn't good.

You can have both and want both. I'm just saying the to me the crust holds the most flavor and smoke should be second. I don't want smoke to over power the flavors from maillard and caramelized outside.

I think the texture is most important but I don't think you can achieve the right texture without the right smoke. So BOTH!

I want it all. Bark, flavor, tenderness, smoke...
If smoke didn't matter at all we would just cook it in the oven.:confused:

PJ I think you can just get plain o'le better bark, crust from most good smokers vs ovens....rare I'd ever use my oven although i do catch myself using the broiler especially for dishes topped with cheese.

PJ I think you plain o'le can get just better bark, crust from most good smokers vs ovens....rare I'd ever use my oven although i do catch myself using the broiler especially for dishes topped with cheese.

Now I want some melted cheese over something with some of the cheese a little burnt.:doh:

Now I want some melted cheese over something with some of the cheese a little burnt.:doh:
Egg plant parmesan has been popping in my head lately...cheese bubbly brown under the broiler. :hungry:

When I think texture, I think tenderness of the meat, not what the bark feels like.

I think the two are completely intertwined. The combination of smoke, meat, fat, salt, and spices combine to create the flavor and texture of the bark, which is consequently where most of the flavor in BBQ lies. Maillard and carmelization are not present in slow-cooked meats, as they are a product of high heats.

Edit: That being said, I would choose a piece of meat with a great bark, but maybe a bit deficient on the smoke flavor, over a subpar bark with good smoke flavor.

Maillard and carmelization are not present in slow-cooked meats, as they are a product of high heats.

Completely false.

Ever seen a biscuit test in a smoker? Maillard reaction.

It happens *faster* at higher heats, but it still happens in a smoker.

I think the two are completely intertwined. The combination of smoke, meat, fat, salt, and spices combine to create the flavor and texture of the bark, which is consequently where most of the flavor in BBQ lies. Maillard and carmelization are not present in slow-cooked meats, as they are a product of high heats.

Edit: That being said, I would choose a piece of meat with a great bark, but maybe a bit deficient on the smoke flavor, over a subpar bark with good smoke flavor.

Yup...and better than over smoked subpar bark.

Completely false.

True...just faster and more pronounced. Basically better at higher temps.

To me both are equally important. Texture to me is how tender and moist the meat is. I don't want a tough dry piece of meat. I can deal with it being a little over cooked, but don't like dry crumbly meat.
I prefer a good amount of sweet, clean, wood smoke. Charcoal and chips/chunks has a different taste to me.

The majority of times I've heard people complain of too much smoke, to me the taste was just plain dirty smoke.

Completely false.

My bad, you're correct. I thought the floor for Maillard was 285, but it turns out that it just is most pronounced above that temp.

Caramelization will depend on what sugar you use, but fructose (half of what table sugar is) will carmelize at 230. Most other sugars don't start caramelizing until 320. So, in the olden days of 225 being the ideal temp, you would get no caramelization. These days, with hot and fast, you will likely be caramelizing just the fructose portion of the sugar.

Back