slider2021

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've been using the 2-2-1 method for the past year and simply love the way the ribs come out (see pics). I'm using my Traeger Pro Series 34. But like all cooks, I'd like to experiment a bit and try a few new methods.

I want to run this by the group and get your thoughts.

Dry rub and smoke for 2 hours at 225
Flip and smoke for an additional 2 hours
Instead of saucing, wrapping in foil, and cooking for an additional hour, I came across a video where they were sauced, wrapped, and placed in a warmer at 175 for one hour.

Has anyone ever done this and do you see any difference in taste and texture?

Attachments

• 20220526_175152.jpg
    20220526_175152.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 210
  • messages_0.jpg
    messages_0.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 206
I've done something similar, except that I didn't have a separate warmer, I just cooked pretty much completely and wrapped with all of the goodies (sauce, etc.) and just let them rest for 30-45 minutes. I do competition barbecue and was experimenting because I have had the ribs overcook while wrapped. I like that method, I just haven't used it in competition yet, it's still a work in progress for me.

I've been using the 2-2-1 method for the past year and simply love the way the ribs come out (see pics). I'm using my Traeger Pro Series 34. But like all cooks, I'd like to experiment a bit and try a few new methods.

I want to run this by the group and get your thoughts.

Dry rub and smoke for 2 hours at 225
Flip and smoke for an additional 2 hours
Instead of saucing, wrapping in foil, and cooking for an additional hour, I came across a video where they were sauced, wrapped, and placed in a warmer at 175 for one hour.

Has anyone ever done this and do you see any difference in taste and texture?

Do you serve just out of the wrapping?

I allways end it on direct fire to dry off the bark and to glaze the sauce.

Now I´m doing this:
2 - 2.5h @ 225-250
1.5h wrapped @ 250-275
0.5-1h finishing/saucing (grill)

I'm beginning to rethink wrapping altogether. The intention, from what I understand, is to retain moisture. It also speeds the cooking process. But, I can't imagine restaurants wrapping their ribs. Just thinking out loud - well... by writing.

Whenever I wrap, they're overcooked. The home crowds love them but I'm using the comp standard for "done". I've been playing with 2.5 hrs at 250, wrap for 30, then finish at 275+ until done (60-90 mins?). Still haven't gotten them perfect though.

Thanks for the idea! I know what meat experiment I'm running 4th of July!

I have never made a great rack of ribs. I've had some turn out pretty good- but nothing that would blow my socks off. I've tried all of the usual methods (even the damned 3-2-1 one) wrapped, unwrapped, nekkid on a Santa Maria, sauced, no sauce - all of them- but the results are just "ok to good".

I've seen genuine, un re-touched photos of spectacular ribs on this site. And if I had to duplicate the results or die... I'd just be dead. #ribs kick my Azz

I find baby back on the grill for an hour at 275-290ish then wrap with liquid, usually red wine, for 45-60 minutes, then 1/2 hour out of the foil for sauce and reset bark always comes out like we like.

Try the foil boat instead of a wrap, it’s been my go to lately & it is the best of both worlds IMO. It speeds up the cook time but doesn’t mess with the bark, the last set of ribs that I did was using the boat method & they were my best of all time.

Attachments

• FEDAA97C-FF5A-4178-92FB-C5169EDE5C0C.jpg
    FEDAA97C-FF5A-4178-92FB-C5169EDE5C0C.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 111
Dry rub, no wrap, no sauce, smoke them until they are tender.
That´s the preferred way in my house, whether people like it or not :p :p :p

The only time I wrap is to speed things up and I´ll use BP. I hardly ever have to do that.
When I buy STL ribs, I know they need 6.5-7 hours, when I buy babyback ribs (I usually go for the meaty babybacks), they take 4-4.5 hours.

Back