Duke City Barbacoa - w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Long time lurker. Long time since I've smoked / grilled much.

The earlier beef cheeks discussion really got me off my keester and back to the drawing board. It's been ages since I made homemade barbacoa.

Once again, I'm using a somewhat modified version of the SteveKing Barbacoa Recipe that's been tops since we first tried it about 7 years ago.

Found some chuck and beef cheeks. I find going strictly cheeky is just too rich for my blood, and straight chuck just doesn't do the texture and fat content justice.

8pK3sFBl.jpg

I called out John's Naturiffic Q-Salt for the seasoning duties.

cbYi2Tml.jpg

Broke out some mesquite lump charcoal from the Meximart as my fuel and smoked them around 250-300F until they hit 150-160 internal... with one flip. Sorry, no photos of the 26er with SNS in action.

swjkEeNl.jpg

Whipped up the braising liquid from SteveKing... leaning heavily on the savoury bits and skipped anything that's spicy or has a strong flavor. That means I used a single bay leaf, upped the garlic, skipped the chiles in adobo, the white onion, and cut down the cumin by about half.

Tipped the kids into the hot tub (Instant Pot).

BOmw2s3l.jpg

She's running at high pressure for 45 minutes with a natural release. I'll check for tenderness and go from there (probably have to rinse/repeat for another 30, if I remember correctly from last time).

Thanks for dropping by on this blazing hot Sunday in the 505.

More to follow.

I had noticed that you hadn't posted any cook threads in a while, and I was seriously thinking that was one of the signs of the apocalypse, but now all is right with the world! Keep cooking, I'm curious for the finished product.

Yep. Extra 15 minutes on high pressure with a natural release did the trick.

Check this out:

Chopped chuck on the left.
Chopped beef cheek on the right.

TOs7259l.jpg

The textures and associated fat content (wish you could see the sheen and feel the difference) are what's interesting to me here.... and why I like a combination of the cuts.

Chuck:
9V7Npfsl.jpg

Cheek:
ZOPT0cNl.jpg

Blitzed the braising liquid after I chopped the meat. Almost like a consommé with flavors that are a bit lighter/brighter than the "beefy" richness of the meat.

3vRR7Fbl.jpg

Mixed up the meat back in the hot tub with a small-medium drizzle of the consommé and set to "Keep Warm."

Zvm5jXNl.jpg

Household down for a nap. Busy and tired after Munchkin's Saturday Dyna-Mites Ice Hockey practice and Sunday soccer practice.

More to follow. Good to be back. No apocalyptic troubles... just a family vacation and ensuing fight with the CV-19 virus.

Twice on Sunday has been achieved

Cachetes con limon
A true Southwest (and High Plains) banquet
Top Shelf Photography as well

Back