I’ve used all lump except for the dregs of some leftover briqs from a previous kettle or PBC cook. Still runs high 200s as long as I put the lid on pretty quick and don’t use quite as much starter charcoal. So, instead of heaping the small size chimney with regular briqs as normal, I’ll just fill it full of lump and not heap it. I’ve done it a few times now and it generally behaves itself. But I have had to put a welding glove over the intake a couple times to settle it down for a short time.

Using B&B lump and Western.

Thanks for the info. I’ve been going back and forth between a Hunsaker and a PBC. I want a blackstone down the road too so I’m thinking maybe a PBC and a blackstone. This thread is a really great resource.

The only drawback to the PBC for me is less temp adjustability compared to a Hunsaker.

I'd bet we've all been here. Pack up the Jeep for a bachelor party. Had my BBQ stuff packed days before. You've checked your list, you've checked it twice. You have everything. Friday night comes. Time to prep your brisket. OH MY GOSH I FORGOT TO PACK MY PBC HOOKS. Ok. Be calm. Just put it on the rack. It will be fine. And it was :) Missed taking pics of the burnt ends and they disappeared rapidly, but this was a 17lb CAB Choice. Rubbed with SPOG and Meat Church Holy Cow. Did a bit of injection with Meat Church as well. smoked with Hickory and Mesquite.

Early bird gets the worm.
eoAZQeM.jpg

IfrQYty.jpg

Brisket time.
IwU64Cd.jpg

4 hours later, wrapping time.
gYP5N0a.jpg

7 hours later after rest. Slicing time.
931vkjt.jpg

UKDgStg.jpg

N4gPMBi.jpg

Also did some ribs and a smoked Kielbasa.
CtoefIj.jpg

Had 13 happy dudes.

Awesome cook!

Thanks for the info. I’ve been going back and forth between a Hunsaker and a PBC. I want a blackstone down the road too so I’m thinking maybe a PBC and a blackstone. This thread is a really great resource.

The only drawback to the PBC for me is less temp adjustability compared to a Hunsaker.

From my understanding the Hunsaker is quite a bit more expensive. You are right though about temp adjustability. I mean you can somewhat do it with the PBC but you'll be doing things like cracking the lid for increased temps and using something to partially block the intake for lower temps. However, most PBC owners just get it pretty well dialed in on a temp (or temp range) and use that for 99% of their cooks. For me that's 275-300.

Sako (ssv3) owns a PBJ and a Hunsaker. Maybe he can help you determine the right way to go. Oh, he also has a Blackstone....:mrgreen:

From my understanding the Hunsaker is quite a bit more expensive. You are right though about temp adjustability. I mean you can somewhat do it with the PBC but you'll be doing things like cracking the lid for increased temps and using something to partially block the intake for lower temps. However, most PBC owners just get it pretty well dialed in on a temp (or temp range) and use that for 99% of their cooks. For me that's 275-300.

Sako (ssv3) owns a PBJ and a Hunsaker. Maybe he can help you determine the right way to go. Oh, he also has a Blackstone....:mrgreen:

I've found the more I mess with it, the worse it cooks. I was doing it a lot in the beginning trying to get it to a temp I wanted and was just fighting it the whole time. It's best to light it up, close the lid, and let it do it's thing. It will settle in at 275-300. I don't use a smoker temp probe ever except maybe around the 6+ hour mark when it may need charcoal. If it's reading over 250 with my Smoke probe through one of the holes I don't touch it. Start getting to 225 or below and I may throw some coals in.

I want a Hunsaker down the road but am plenty pleased with the initial investment in the PBC continuing to pay dividends a little over two years later.

I haven't touched the intake since maybe a month or two into owning it. Only variable that changes the temp at this point is wind direction or ambient temp. Been pretty hot here in SoCal, even at the beach, so I got a lesson in having it in direct sunlight on a hot day this past weekend: the lid handle can get pretty hot! It also accelerated temps. I don't run temp probes but the amount of smoke coming out let me know it was running hotter. Spares were done an hour earlier than I would normally expect but still turned out great.

I also have a Blackstone. It is awesome. I think the normal person could be pretty complete with a PBC, Blackstone and then a gasser or Weber kettle.

Hunsaker is an awesome tool for those who want precise control and a refined, clean smoke flavor. PBC/J is more of what I describe a bold/raw flavor due to the drippings spritzing the coals.

Both awesome cookers and love them equally for what they're built to do and that is producing outstanding Q. PBC is a bargain and the Hunsaker while more expensive is worth every single penny.

Coming from someone who has both.

4lgVk8Ih.jpg

And the PBJ. Though little she packs a serious punch

bAvE0EVh.jpg

Last edited:
I think I saw those pics in another thread. Outstanding as always brother! Very pretty area where the cabin is too!

Been passive on the PBCAT because the PBJ lives in the cabin now. No real good content since it's up there but some amazing cooks on here. :thumb:

Sako, here’s the deal: You’ve cooked so much delicious food on the PBC, and helped so many PBC grill-jockeys that you’ve earned a lifetime pass on any obligation to post brand-new cooks. Just make sure you keep checking in as the Jedi master and re-post your old cooks when the opportunity arises. :thumb:

...and the burgers are legit:icon_smile_tongue:

Back