My UDS Thanks to You

mobbq1

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
First I want to thank this forum and it's subscribers for helping me build my UDS Smoker. I'm a fair handy man, and an avid BBQer participating in a couple backyard KCBS competitions each year. This was one of my more fun projects. As for the build I started with a $15 drum with the orange liner inside. What they say is true. It's a pain to get out. A few fires, and a drill with bristle brushes finally got it out. Don't give up... I cut 3 dampers out of a different barrel to mimic the Weber I use on a regular basis. The firebox is my old Smokey Joe grill with holes cut in the side and a pizza pan on the bottom to catch ash. It holds 235 coals. The inside has 2 racks and I've yet to put the thermometers on it. The stand has 4 chock blocks to hold the UDS in place, two of which are glued while the other 2 are removable. Paint is automotive rated at 500 degrees. It cooks great, and holds a good temp. Thanks again for everyone's help, and hope this helps the up and comer UDS designers. One cooking tip. These UDS's cook faster than your traditional smoker but still deliver moist flavorful BBQ.
IMAG0747_1.jpg

Attachments

• Fire.jpg
    Fire.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Damper.jpg
    Damper.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 198
  • Orginal.jpg
    Orginal.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMAG0456.jpg
    IMAG0456.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMAG0734.jpg
    IMAG0734.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMAG0720.jpg
    IMAG0720.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 197
Nice build. Like the cart and paint especially. A smokey joe for a fire box. Hmmm......interesting. Not willing to give up my smokey joe but you were thinking outside the box and it's expanded mine. Thank you sir and well done.

Creative ideas and great execution! Those things are fun to cook on! Now go build a mini WSM for those fast, small cooks. :thumb:

Back