Well, I pulled the trigger: Blue Smoke Smoker ordered today!!!

cayenne

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Whew...well, as that I had used most of my "toy" money last month to buy a Spike Solo 15 gallon brew system and a 10 gallon conical fermenter....I had to scrap around and find money.

I found some that a friend had long ago paid me back in a PayPal acct...and some other things here and there.

I spoke with Phillip Kirkpatrick, and ironed out some questions I have.

I put down 50% on a Blue Smoke Smoker with:

- Folding Stack
- Stack damper
- Initial Linseed Oil treatment
- Flat top/Griddle Plate on top of Firebox
- Ball valve drain
- Removable baffle to set in cook area over the firebox entrance...to hold water pan, etc.

And it appears my delivery time in LA will be mid September!!

I got the Linseed oil treatment...for it to look great when it arrives, but mostly...well, Sept is the height of hurricane season, and with storms and rains, I figured extra protection from factor couldn't hurt.

I tried to balance out the spirit of this being a VERY economical 3.8" metal, pro level type backyard smoker...to keep it somewhat bare bones and low cost, with the idea that this thing should last me the rest of my days on earth.

I think I got a good balance...I added the folding stack to make it easier to move if I have to, and I figured I could get an easier fit on a cover if I didn't have to worry about the high stack.

It appears, possibly, that he's going to be shipping 1-2 other smokers to the states near me, I think either MS or AL, and if he can time it to ship multiple units on same truck we might get a break on shipping costs...so, fingers crossed.

I have to say, working with Phillip has been great so far...He's very patient with my questions and spent a good bit of time with me on the phone last evening after he'd worked all day.

And I want to thank Hojo and Kevin and all the others that had patience with me asking noob questions on another thread about looking at offsets in today's market, etc.

Ya'll really helped me out and I very much appreciate it!! I'd not have known about some of the options if not for ya'll...since they aren't listed on the shop website.

I can NOT wait to fire this puppy up....it will arrive JUST in time for LSU Football season.
I plan to have kegs of beer brewed up and waiting to go along with some Cajun Q....I'm guessing I won't have too much problem getting old college buddies to come watch games at my house...haha.

Anyway...now....to SAVE money next couple months...gotta pay the 2nd half off plus shipping and I need to order wood.

I'm so excited about this....I've been away from really smoking for years now...and excited to get back into it.

I my last few days of research...and reading here....BBQ techniques have changed a bit over the past decade.

I hope ya'll don't mind a bunch of educated noob questions....I think I"m gonna have to learn how to do ribs and brisket all over again...especially in this new to me type of offset smoker.

Anyway...I'll update here in a few months when I get'er delivered!!

cayenne

Congratulations on new cooker

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Congrats on the pit - things is so heavy not sure it would move in a Cat 4 hurricane 😀

Since you are in Louisiana - a smoked gator would be a great place to break the pit in - a nice little 3 or 4 footer 🐊

If you have any questions moving forward don’t hesitate to ask

Ted

Congrats and looking forward to your pics and opinions!

A huge congrats!! I didn’t even know about these smokers til a few weeks ago. If I were to buy another offset, this may very well be the one. Incredible bang for buck.

Congrats!

Love your quick and logical decision making to get a pit in your yard pronto!!! Too many folks can’t make up their minds while good pits come and go!!

Congratulations! That's a really nice cooker. And whatever techniques ya used prior ta yer revisit are just as solid as any new techniques ya have found here. Meat and fire...

-D

Congrats on your new smoker! Pictures when you get it please?

I just got mine and I’m liking it a lot. Look forward to your pics. There seems to be a growing number of us on this site with the same cooker.

AWESOME!!!

Glad to hear!

Gator, eh?

Congrats on the pit - things is so heavy not sure it would move in a Cat 4 hurricane 😀

Since you are in Louisiana - a smoked gator would be a great place to break the pit in - a nice little 3 or 4 footer 🐊

If you have any questions moving forward don’t hesitate to ask

Ted

LOL...thank you!!

Yep, when I was but a young lad coming to LA for the first time to go to LSU, I was a picky eater.
After my first year, I sent home and basically was game to try to eat anything put in front of me....

When asked what changed I said..."Well down there, those folks will eat anything that doesn't eat them first...and make it TASTE good!!"
;)

Hmm, smoked gator....you might be onto something there.....

C

bang for buck.

A huge congrats!! I didn’t even know about these smokers til a few weeks ago. If I were to buy another offset, this may very well be the one. Incredible bang for buck.

I didn't know about them either till basically this past weekend roughly....

I went from curiosity, to want....to need incredibly fast...even for ME!!
:O

Yeah, I was blown away by what appears to be bang for the buck on this thing.....

I spent some time on their website over the last week or two and I’ve been following this thread a little too close. I placed an order Monday :shock: for a bare bones base model. According to Phil, extras can be added up until a few days before it’s complete. Unless i misunderstood, he said they were shipping about three a week on this model.

Last edited:
Gator tail!

I know you don’t get your pit for a few months - but here is a recipe for gator that you can start tinkering with - Malcom Reed Gator Video

https://youtu.be/s0yOoyJSLZI

Thank you!!
What was a fun watch!!

I might see if I can get some gator tail meat and see what I can do with that?
I like the idea of stuffing it!!

Cayenne

Shipping BS Smokers

I spent some time on their website over the last week or two and I’ve been following this thread a little too close. I placed an order Monday :shock: for a bare bones base model. According to Phil, extras can be added up until a few days before it’s complete. Unless i misunderstood, he said they were shipping about three a week on this model.

Phil was great to talk to...very helpful in making my decisions.

I live in LA and he said it with my timing, I might can get mine on with 1-2 that are being shipped to MS and AL....and if all can go on same truck, we might all get a shipping break.

Not sure where you are located, but if in this area....they all might come together and we all catch a break!!

Good luck....I'm anxious to hear your BS story too!
(lol...that just kinda reads funny, doesn't it?).

cayenne

Back