Weber Master Touch?

jmellor

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Checking out a Red Weber Master Touch kettle tomorrow I saw on CL today. I won't know the condition until I see it but have been told by the seller it's in "fine" shape. I did some searches and only saw a few posts. But did see a number in folks signatures. So what is the word on these? It appears in good shape and has wood handles. I think it's a master touch based on some web searches. Has an ash catcher and lid holder, etc. Appreciate any advice on these versus holding out for something else. Will post pics if I take it home!

Thx!

I've had a Master Touch in green for 12+ years. They are similar to the current gold models but they have the bonus of having a slide-aside lid holder and a built in thermometer like the performer. I absolutely love mine and cook on it all the time. I have had to do very little with it other than give it a good cleaning every spring.

I got mine off craigslist last fall. I had to replace the three blades on the one touch cleaning system and I replaced the charcoal and cooking grates. To be quite honest I like it better than my shiny new One Touch Gold. The slide-aside lid holder is way better than the welded on lid hook on the OTG and I don't have to stick a thermometer thru the vent.

Just got one off CL last week and it's in darn good shape. It's red also. Cleaned up like a new one. Gave 50.00 for it. :grin:

I picked it up this morning. Looks in pretty good shape. Looking forward to getting it cleaned up. Will post some pics when I get a chance. Paid $20 which I think was a great deal!

I have a red one. It is like a OT Gold, with wood handles and a thermometer in the lid.

Red was discontinued in 1997, so that is a rare bird. Great score at 20 bucks. The seller didn't know what he had.

CD

Red was discontinued in 1997, so that is a rare bird. Great score at 20 bucks. The seller didn't know what he had.

CD

Looks like it was made in 1996 based on the date code. I thought it was a good find. It was a second owner who had it for a couple years and didn't use it much. They just wanted it out of the garage!

Wow! I thought that I had a red OTG, but after 3 years I find out that it is a master touch. Cool. By the way, congrats on your new one.

Here are some pics. My kids decided to name her "Old Betsy". No idea why. But I guess it's going to stick. Overall very good shape. Couple of pieces of old tape that I need to get off. No idea why any one would have stuck tape on her. But the black marks you see are left over tape. Overall very few dings at all. Will buy some new grates and a cover this weekend. My first true CL Score!

2d9eb38c.jpg

b26e8c99.jpg

7979d9d9.jpg

83bd5e16.jpg

fde36697.jpg

That is one sweet looking red head you got there! Great score for $20! And that rust on the bottom rack will come off very easily.

Forgot to ask....will the standard 22.5" replacement grill and charcoal grates fit on this? I assume they will. Hoping to catch some sales this weekend...

Forgot to ask....will the standard 22.5" replacement grill and charcoal grates fit on this? I assume they will. Hoping to catch some sales this weekend...

Nice score!
And yes, the standard Weber 22.5" grates will fit that grill.

Wow, that is very nice. The lid and bowl look almost new. And, yes, the rust on the bottom piece of the frame will sand right off with very fine sand paper or steel wool.

CD

Home Depot has the hinged grates.

Sent from my BlackBerry Storm using Tapatalk

Since I load all my coals and chuncks on one side for indirect cooking, I cut one of the hinged panels off of my hinged grate. That gets it out of the way.

I have a regular grate when I need the full area for grilling.

CD

Home Depot has the hinged grates.

Sent from my BlackBerry Storm using Tapatalk

The hinged grates that I have seen at Home Depot, and Lowe's are plated. The plating comes off after time, and the grates need to be replaced. The stainless steel won't need to be replaced.

I bought one at home depot today (while picking 4 two packs of Kingsford...). I haven't had a chance to scrub the grate it came with. I will do that this weekend and maybe I will get lucky with stainless. Otherwise good to know about the weber link! Psyched to fire her up.

Back