Hybrid pellet + charcoal & chunks smoker project (long read w/ pics)

I love it. I havnt quite considered myself "not a stickburner" guy but I dont seem to use it all too often. Very good idea and great execution

The horror...

Glad it’s working out for you, looks like it’s producing some good results. I’m in the opposite camp - I’m a pyro since day one & recent stick burner convert. I really look forward to starting a fire & watching it burn, baby burn. Now I get to play with fire year ‘round, not just the few months it’s cool enough at night here to justify a fire in the fireplace.

Pyros definitely better suited for stickburner LOL. There is something primal about a pile of wood burning down to embers...

I love it. I havnt quite considered myself "not a stickburner" guy but I dont seem to use it all too often. Very good idea and great execution
Thanks Jrogers!

Sorry to bring up an old post but I was thinking along somewhat similar lines to do with a hybrid pellet/charcoal smoker.
I have a Pitboss 820 pellet grill and was looking to run a charcoal basket within the cook chamber.
If you are familiar with these grills (similar to a traeger pro 22) do you have an opinion about where you would place a charcoal basket? Under or over grease shield etc?
Thanks

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

:twitch:

:tsk:

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=178270
:mrgreen:

I think you came up with a good solution for your problem for your preferences. That’s why I tell people to get an Old Country Pecos and try it out and see if you like stick burning and then step up to a nice one. Pecos is not a cheapo charbroil, Chargriller COS -it’s a decent mid grade pit at a good price.

For a Hybrid Pooper - an Assassin Pellet Grill would be a good choice if you have Not already bought a nice stick burner and decided it’s not for you. Or the New Smoke Daddy Pellet Pro vertical pellet pooper. I think you could find an easy way to burn charcoal n chunks in either one of those along with the pellets.

From what I know as well assassin will build a hybrid pellet/charcoal grill. Not sure on running both at the same time though.

Back