UDS cold smoke mod?

MushCreek

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have yet another idea for my 'Swiss Army knife UDS'. I've always wanted to do true cold smoke- like for fish, cheese, etc. I don't think the UDS will cruise low enough with fire inside, so I have an idea for cold smoke. I could cut the drum so the end with the 2" pipe thread was in the bottom. Connect it up with an elbow and a length of pipe, then hook it up to a small fan-forced smoke box. My only concern is that the pipe inlet is off-set to the edge of the drum. I could fit one to the middle instead, thereby having central smoke distribution. Has anyone rigged their UDS for cold smoke? Do you think it matters whether the inlet is off-center or not? Am I totally obsessed with the whole smoked food thing???:eek:

I do cheese in mine all the time...3 briqs of charcoal and a chunk of smokewood...cruises for 2 hours @ 80 degrees or less. I never do cold smokes for fish so I can't help you out there...:cool:

I do cheese in mine all the time...3 briqs of charcoal and a chunk of smokewood...cruises for 2 hours @ 80 degrees or less. I never do cold smokes for fish so I can't help you out there...:cool:
^^^ same here ^^^

I like that Smokedaddy! Maybe I'll try a small fire first to see if i can control it. I'll have to put it in the shade, though. Here in FL, my rig cruises about 125 when I'm not even using it!

Ooooh Mush, I bet it will be too hot. Didn't realize where you were. Plan "B" brother.

I like that Smokedaddy! Maybe I'll try a small fire first to see if i can control it. I'll have to put it in the shade, though. Here in FL, my rig cruises about 125 when I'm not even using it!

I know what you mean. In the summertime here when temps are 100+, I've seen mine about 150+...wide open.

great... something else I want... I either need (a) a BBQ lovin' sugar momma:cool: OR (b) to win the lottery.:-D

Back