The Evolution of my CLT.....(crabcake, lettuce, tomato)

deepsouth

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I picked up a couple pounds of crabmeat for Memorial Day weekend. This was the best crabmeat I have ever bought. I didn't find the first piece of shell in either pound. One pound was solid lump and the other, solid claw meat. Rarely do I find claw meat that is pretty solid, unbroken claws. I like to mix the dark and white crabmeat, because I think it tastes better.

I used the recipe posted online for "Baltimore style" crab cakes that Andrew Zimmern picked up from a friends wife's grandmother, or something like that. We did crabmeat poboys the first night. We discovered that the Local rouses carried Leidenheimer poorboy bread out of New Orleans. That was a great find.

At the bottom of the page of the recipe, Zimmern recommended eating leftover, cold crabcakes on toast with a slice of tomato and Rrussian dressing for breakfast. Russian dressing has nothing to do with Russia, other than, early iterations had caviar in them. Russian is basically thousand island dressing, but less sweet apparently. I don't eat thousand island dressing.

The recipe for the Russian dressing is:

1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup ketchup
1 clove garlic minced
2 tbs pickle diced small (any kind really)
1 tsp paprika
1 tbs horseradish
A few dashes of hot sauce (to taste)

So we tried that one......

Both those things were so good, we decided to do them all again, but this time, I figured some nice lettuce would go good on there.

And that was how I came to eat crabcakes for breakfast the past two days as well as the birth of my CLT.

Thanks for looking.

I haven't found a Zimmern recipe that I haven't liked and those look superb.

Back