Questions on sausage casings!

blazinfire

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Alright.. Here we go! I have ordered the stainless steel stuffing tubes for my LEM stuffer.. I needed the smaller sizes.. I misplaced the plastic ones..

I order my sausage making stuff from sausagemaker.com... My question is.. they only 19mm casing they have is a clear/smoked casing.. I wanted to do snack sticks but always used mahogany.. The clear casings when its smoked should have a nice beautiful color on the snack sticks? I'm looking for presentation as much as taste.. I could go with the 21mm casings.. but I found those snack sticks to be a little too thick to my liking..

In my experience, If you are using cure and smoking, you will get a nice red color even with natural casing. I prefer natural sheep casing for my snack sticks/land jeagers.

I'm sorry I should of specified I am talking about collagen casings. I dont think I am ready to try natural casings for snack sticks. Just wondering if I should shoot for mahogany casings or if the clear ones will provide a nice color/look once smoked. Its just gonna be weird stuffing the clear ones lol

I'm sorry I should of specified I am talking about collagen casings. I dont think I am ready to try natural casings for snack sticks. Just wondering if I should shoot for mahogany casings or if the clear ones will provide a nice color/look once smoked. Its just gonna be weird stuffing the clear ones lol

Regardless if natural, or collagen, if you use cure and smoke, they will turn red. Those colored casings are assuming you are not using traditional smoking.

Sorry, don’t want to derail the thread but I’m just wondering what smoker you use to smoke the snack sticks.

Sorry, don’t want to derail the thread but I’m just wondering what smoker you use to smoke the snack sticks.

Good point, Just looked at his list of smokers. He has a offset,a MES40 and a girilla grillz . You won't get any color using that MES40. You need real wood fire, like that offset, or that pellet smoker.

Good point, Just looked at his list of smokers. He has a offset,a MES40 and a girilla grillz . You won't get any color using that MES40. You need real wood fire, like that offset, or that pellet smoker.

100% gonna be the silverbac.

I cant speak for the silverback, but when i use my Rec Tec, Pit Boss, or treager, I get a nice smoke/color on my jerky and snack sticks. I am sure, you will be fine with clear casings.

Well u guys know me. Im going for it. Just to see what the end results are. It'll make a good thread hehe

Alright here is another question... What's my options for snack stick seasonings.. I tried the Sausage makers dried sausage seasoning.. something about it we did not like... I'm not interested in their other flavors except maybe BBQ.. But they only have 6lb batch of that!!

Update.. I chose to go with Walton's inc Willy's snack stick seasoning, 19mm casings, summer sausage casings, and 2lbs of high temp cheddar cheese.
It was expensive... But I honestly am getting tired of the normal Hi-Mountain seasonings.. for jerky and other stuff I've been making

Last edited:
Alright here is another question... What's my options for snack stick seasonings.. I tried the Sausage makers dried sausage seasoning.. something about it we did not like... I'm not interested in their other flavors except maybe BBQ.. But they only have 6lb batch of that!!

Update.. I chose to go with Walton's inc Willy's snack stick seasoning, 19mm casings, summer sausage casings, and 2lbs of high temp cheddar cheese.
It was expensive... But I honestly am getting tired of the normal Hi-Mountain seasonings.. for jerky and other stuff I've been making

You will love the hi-temp cheese. Great in bulk sausage patties, fatties, meatloaf, and meatballs too. I have several flavors and it keeps really well in the freezer.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I should of specified I am talking about collagen casings. I dont think I am ready to try natural casings for snack sticks. ...
Why do you say this? In my vast sausage experience of two batches I have used natural pork casings without any problems other than my ineptness at keeping a consistent diameter.

I like using natural casings for snack sticks, better than collagen. I feel the snap and chew are better, but that is me. Collagen is much easier and more consistent because it is a manufactured product. And those sheep casings can be a pain to load. The clear will turn red, no worries. This was my last run last week after about 7 hours in my Franken smoker I built just for low temp smoking
7885dac5b95f6fb51aef806fc1258d13.jpg
522b74b885650093e5a409e3f8cf69ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Why do you say this? In my vast sausage experience of two batches I have used natural pork casings without any problems other than my ineptness at keeping a consistent diameter.

truth of the matter is.. I use natural hog casings for brats.. and other sausages.. I don't feel like fooling with the natural sheep casings right now haha.. only reason why I said that.. I wanted ease of use.. and I've used the cologen many of times in the past..

I saw you ordered the LEM stainless snack stick tube for your stuffer. It's actually a 1/2" tube and sometimes casings can be a little tight on that tube. If you look on Ebay there are a ton of sellers who sell stuffer tubes that are true 3/8" and small outer diameter. I have both the LEM 1/2" (3/8" inner diameter) and one of the 13mm tubes for my 5 lb stuffer. You can see the difference in this photo, the LEM is on the left. I've used 17mm collagen casings on that ebay tube.

b2gpgDtl.jpg

Back