Seasoning the new UDS right now. pics!

A

akayaker

Ok so here is a real time update.

I decided to use my small basket for the first smoke. I loaded her up with 5lbs or so of RO and some mesquite.

Fire up the UDS @ 3:56pm. Has all 3 1'' holes open. She reached 225 @ 4:12 and 250 @ 4:16. I covered 1 hole and 1/2 of another. Had a spike to 270 right after the 250 mark. I did not readjust the intakes. It settled at 263. I adjusted my intake that was at the 1/2 mark to the 1/4 mark and the drum settled at 253.

I have let it run for 15 mins or so and the temp has crept up to 285. I just covered the second hole and a 1/4 of the third.

Here are some pics.

102_3986.jpg

102_3987.jpg

102_3990.jpg

102_3989.jpg

Update.

Ok 5:20pm. I just checked and after the last readjustment of the intake (now only 1 1" hole 4/4 of the way open) I am at at 254 and steady as a rock.

It is windy and 40 degrees here today and I am impressed to say the least. My Electric Brinkman would have been all over the place today. The UDS is a rock.. so far.

I like your small basket for the fire, I think I will try that out.

Congratulations on the Drum...

I like your small basket for the fire, I think I will try that out.

Congratulations on the Drum...

Thanks Hav,

I saw another thread somewhere (there are so many on the UDS) where someone made a small basket for short smokes. I thought it made good sense. Fits right down inside the big basket.

Last update on todays UDS break in,

Checked the drum at 7:23 and the temp was at 233.

Check again at 8:00 and it was at 233. She was done.

Last check at 10:00 and she was at 190.

So I started the UDS with roughly 4lbs of RO at 4pm. My small basket (8'' across and 10'' high) was half way full. I easily had 4hrs of good smoke time.

This was my first time using a UDS. It was 40 degrees and windy here. I had no problem dialing in the temps I just sort of guessed and didn't rush it. I lam glad that i decided not to install the ball valve and nipples. This thing runs great just using the magnets to cover the intakes.

I decided not to throw on the fatty I had ready. I wanted to see what the drum would do with out breaking the seal. The plan is to kick off another basket and test out my dome lid. I'll throw it on then.

Thanks for all the help. I will post with the results on the dome lid. It remains to be see whether or not I will have a hot spot because of the single smoke stack.

I have to say that I am very impressed with my UDS and look forward to getting some food on it.

Thanks for all the help.

Big E

Back