BBQ Sauce Help

crgshum

Reaction score
I am obsessed with Sticky Fingers Sweet Carolina BBQ sauce.

It has the right color and consistency. It has the perfect mix of sweetness and tang. And it pairs perfectly with my rub. My meat stands on it's own just fine, but this sauce takes my ribs and pulled pork to the next level. But I don't want to rely on store bought sauces forever...

I've browsed the interwebs for copycat recipes, but to no avail. I've tried 4 different "tangy carolina" or "sweet carolina" bbq sauce recipes in my home kitchen, but they aren't even close. They all consist of approximately 1 part vinegar to 1 part ketchup to 1/2 brown sugar and some other additions. I've tried stepping back the vinegar dramatically but I don't feel like I'm making progress.

My goal is not to copy their recipe, but to get close enough and be just different enough to call it my own. But I need a place to start. Can anybody help me get in the ballpark?

It's been awhile since I've had that sauce. I always liked the sticky fingers line. I'll have to grab a bottle, and try to re-create it. I'm usually pretty good at that sort of stuff, but I've also been stumped several times as well. I'll report back if I get anywhere close.

If it takes it to the next level, why not just continue to use it instead of shigging it???

I just checked out the ingredient list online. It's a tomato paste and water sauce, so I would ditch any ketchup recipes right off the bat. Very different consistency between those two types of sauces.

It sounds like you got much vinegar taste.If so try using white distilled vinegar instead of regular vinegar. This cuts down on the strong flavor greatly.

Read the label on the bottle the ingredients are listed by weight most to least work slow and taste often

Here are the ingredients:
Water, Sugar, Vinegar, Tomato Paste, Molasses, Honey, Contains Less Than 2% of: Salt, Aged Cayenne Pepper, Natural Smoke Flavor, Modified Food Starch, Dextrose, Spice, Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Garlic, Xanthan Gum, Onion, Sodium Benzoate as a preservative, Maltodextrin, Tamarind, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor.

So the first 6 obviously give the bulk of the consistency and substance. Salt, Cayenne, Liquid Smoke?, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder are the others I recognize...

Good point on the distilled vinegar. I've tried both on a couple of the recipes but the apple was definitely too strong.

Here are the ingredients:
Water, Sugar, Vinegar, Tomato Paste, Molasses, Honey, Contains Less Than 2% of: Salt, Aged Cayenne Pepper, Natural Smoke Flavor, Modified Food Starch, Dextrose, Spice, Corn Syrup, Caramel Color, Garlic, Xanthan Gum, Onion, Sodium Benzoate as a preservative, Maltodextrin, Tamarind, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor.

So the first 6 obviously give the bulk of the consistency and substance. Salt, Cayenne, Liquid Smoke?, Onion Powder, and Garlic Powder are the others I recognize...

Good point on the distilled vinegar. I've tried both on a couple of the recipes but the apple was definitely too strong.
This is where I would start it should get you close

1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
2/3 cup distilled vinegar or Red Wine vinegar
3 oz tomato paste ( 1/2 of a small can)
2 oz molasses
2 oz honey
1 tbl corn syrup
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1tbl worcestershire sauce
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp onion salt
2 tbl spoon cornstarch dissolved in a little water

Bring it to a boil & reduce to simmer to desired thickness. Add 1 tsp liquid smoke and adjust the salt to taste

I was about to post the exact same thread. I used this sauce religiously when I was living on the East Coast, but I haven't found anything similar on the West Coast. I'm curious to know if the OP figured out the recipe!? Or if anyone else is familiar with the sauce and has a similar recipe??

I don't remember this thread which is funny because that might be one of my favorite sauces to buy. Really nice balance of flavor and thinner that a lot of sauces like sweet baby rays (which I also will use :-D)

Back