My cousin's rib comp

Odin the Dog

Full Fledged Farker
My dear cousin Teddie contacted me about a week ago for advice on how to cook ribs. Her and some friends have cooking comps and this time it was ribs. After a few beer-filled IMs explaining and laying out all of my BBQ secrets she ended up losing to a guy that cooked his ribs in an oven! Her first trial attempt was a burned up slab from too much rub. But her second attempt and said entry looked spot on. She did win the 'best taste' category though, shouldn't that be enough?

My realization that most Americans are brain washed and convinced that oven cooked, 'fall-off-the-bone' ribs are better than slow-smoked ribs has been confirmed.
I'm gonna teach her how to make properly smoked pork butt next.

If it doesn't fall off the bone most people dont consider the ribs any good at all. My family is the same way ,when I cook them to fall off the bone they rave how good they are, and when I cook the to what I consider is competiton quality they are " a little tuff " go figure .I guess some people are lazy and dont want to chew their food to much.

What is wrong with fall off the bone ribs? I know they are not competition style but they are still enjoyable.

At home I cook my ribs differently than I do at a contest. I cook them a little longer than I do at a competition.

I don't think either way is correct, just different. I like them both ways.

What is wrong with fall off the bone ribs? I know they are not competition style but they are still enjoyable.

At home I cook my ribs differently than I do at a contest. I cook them a little longer than I do at a competition.

Nothing unless they are oven cooked as stated above.

I've been wondering.. I also prefer my ribs to be the blasphemous fall off the bone variety. It seems that most americans prefer them that way too (based on my non-scientific survey of people I talked to about ribs yesterday). I like the meat to be tender, and by default, fall of the bone is. Maybe I've not had good competition style ribs, but the ribs I've had that were not fall off the bone were kind of tough and chewy.

Why is it that here in the bbq world we prefer them firmer, while the rest of the world prefers fall off the bone? Maybe I'm missing something.

You should have taught her how to boil them, then put them in the oven.... that would have put her over the top!

Why are you holding out on your 'cuz?

If she won the best taste category, what did she lose on? Isn't taste the most important thing?

Why is it that here in the bbq world we prefer them firmer, while the rest of the world prefers fall off the bone? Maybe I'm missing something.

And how many people cook at home like they cook for comps - comp cooking caters to what the judges are told is good.

People like what they like, if they like fall of the bone then more power to them.

Yes ignorance is not bliss!
If ignorance is bliss, why ain't I happier?

And how many people cook at home like they cook for comps - comp cooking caters to what the judges are told is good.

People like what they like, if they like fall of the bone then more power to them.
I have 3 sets of recipies... Competition, Customer, and Me, and very rarely do they cross lines...

A couple of the "judges" thought they were a little tough. People just have different tastes I guess.

Couple of the "judges" were playing hometown favorites it sounds like. Personally, who gives a damn how the ribs are. I cook to cater, if they want off the bone, that's what they get. When I cook for myself and have guests, if they don't like the way I cook them, they go somewhere else when it's time to eat, that's just the way it is.

Well, you cannot please everyone, and you never know about texture. That is a tough one.

Yeah, one of the judges made a comment about some parts were like jerky. Well sure, I guess. When the ribs are slow smoked and served dry without sauce as they should be, sure some of the surface can be a little jerky. That's what happens. It doesn't happen with foiled, cooked in an oven ribs. Morons. Oh well.

I'm gonna teach her how to cook pulled pork next. hommina hommina.
I sent her a link to the Smokenator 1000 website. She's a BBQ newbie and I'm gonna bust her cherry.

That sucks, dude.

Personally, I shoot for "not quite falling off the bone" when I do ribs. Having just a little bit of bite holds them together while I cut them into singles and sauce them. Plus, I usually cook the day before the party/event and they'd be too over done once I re-heated them. Used this method quite a few times and never got any comments about them being tough.

Back