First cook on the beast tonight

Slamdunkpro

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The day has arrived. After seasoning the other day, it's time to Q!

Of course I can't leave anything alone and after seeing Sawdustguy's post on his charcoal basket for his Spicer I just had to keep up so out came the mig and I put together one of my own. Now I just gotta make another one for the other cooker. Sawdustguy it's a great design!

Charcoal basket pics

Just finished
charcoal-basket-1.jpg

charcoal-basket-2.jpg

In the cooker.
charcoal-basket-in-place.jpg

Loaded and ready to go!
charcoal-basket-full.jpg

Here's the Guru all hooked up and ready to go
SW-brains.jpg

And the 8 butts and 3 briskets all prepped and waiting for midnight! The ribs and chicken go in the other side in the morning - I'm going to run that side au natural' (no electronics)as it were as an exercise.
SW-butts-raw.jpg

SW-briskets-raw.jpg

I'll update as things progress and see what kind of cook times I get out of this basket.

Time to put the meat on!

You da Man! Nice job on the basket! Good luck with the cook!:biggrin: :cool:

Update - with pics

Cooker has been running for 14 hours at a rock steady 220 with no end in sight. Looks like the Sawdustguy Inc. basket is a winner!

Butts after 11 hrs
butts-11-hrs.jpg

Briskets after the same 11
briskets-11-hrs.jpg

Mike,

I am very happy it worked so well for you! Super job! I think you now agree with me that Spicewine makes the best cookers bar none. I can't take all the credit. Mo-Dave and MillitantSquatter had alot to do with it. Thats the cool thing about this forum, if you find something that works well.....share it with others so they will benefit also. You made my day!

I know you have a Guru, but by chance do you have a picture of the basket in action? Did you put the wood under the basket, like Sawdust and others? I'm wondering if an "s" basket, you can put the wood under the basket also?

Mike,
Thats the cool thing about this forum, if you find something that works well.....share it with others so they will benefit also. You made my day!

Abso fark'in lutly! I was not even considering a Spicewine until I stumbled onto this forum. In addition, posters on this forum shortened the learning / experimentation curve to almost zero.

The butts are starting to come off now after 13 hours and wow, this is what I've been banging my heard against the wall for for the past 5 years. I got there with my offset, but with a lot less sleep.:lol:

The credits:

Pointing me in the direction of and providing info & opinions on the Spicewine:
Spice (duh!) Dustaway, Smokincracker, Militant Squatter, and more (too many to remember)

Smokin Cracker for all his great Guru incorporation tips and his "pre-heat the cooker with a weed burner tip"

Militant Squatter and all the others for the cook wet/dry thread - BTW this cook is no water, no mass in the pan, foil lined. So far so good.

ZBQ
for the loan of an Acorn and a wrench when I needed it most (don't ask - enough said:icon_shy)

and of course, Sawdustguy for the charcoal basket pics and suggestions.

Slam how many pounds of charcoal can you get in the basket you made. I can get about 23lbs in the one I made but yours looks five times bigger then mine. I get about a 16 to 20 hour cook on my small one do you know how long of a cook you get.

Talk about easy fire management. Great job and thanks for the pics.

Slam how many pounds of charcoal can you get in the basket you made. I can get about 23lbs in the one I made but yours looks five times bigger then mine. I get about a 16 to 20 hour cook on my small one do you know how long of a cook you get.

About 28lbs or so. As far as cook time I firec it up at 9pm last night cooked all night and today and as of now it's showing no signs of quitting. With the amount of charcoal left I'll bet the cooker will still be hot in the morning.

Will these baskets work with lump charcole mixed with wood chunks do you think? I may try and make a small one like this for my bandera.

I don't think lump would "chain" as evenly.

Update - The cook and the clean up is done, I've just got to pull and vacuum pack the remaining pork. The cooker is still going and holding steady. I think a little additional engineering may be in order here. Maybe add some additional internal grates to create "timed zones" so if you only need an 8 hour burn just fill 2, or something like that.

I definitely need to put some dividers in the basket as it finally went out about 10 this morning; so thats a total burn time of what?.....36 hours:shock:

Oh yeah more food pr0n.

pulled-pork-bowl.jpg

Pork-macro.jpg

Back