5 Gallon Bucket

Dmakkk

Take a breath!
Reaction score
I was looking to get The Briner but figured since i already have a new Lowes 5 gallon bucket I could just put a liner in there either with cold packs or ice on top. Has folks used this method before. Below are what i was thinking of buying.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Gallon-Bucket-Liner-Marinading-Brining/dp/B00J29FPVO[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005VPTZUU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1[/ame]

I've used a 5 gallon bucket. I put my turkey/chicken in an XL Ziploc bag, put ice in the bottom of the bucket, lower the bag and turkey into the bucket, then pour my cold brine into the bag, then seal it up and dump ice on top. However, I found a 15L bucket that is small enough, so I think this year I will put my turkey in the bag, into that bucket, then put the whole thing in my beer/meat fridge.

I have used food safe 5 gallon buckets in the past to brine with. Then I switched to dry brining a couple of years ago, and never looked back.

I used to wet brine everything until I forgot to dispose of the water and giblets from a turkey one year. It wasn't until 6 months later did I find the horrible stench from my Coleman cooler. Now I dry brine everything with Rubbermaid buckets in the fridge.

To me, the benefit to The Briner is the ability to lock the food down low and into the liquid. Today I do this with a plate and a weight in a food safe bucket and it can be a pain sometimes. I just can't push myself to spend the $40+ dollars shipped. Good idea, just over priced.

What are you trying to brine?

I've used the Stark liners in my 5 gallon buckets and they work well with easy clean-up. I use a lot of ice in the brine, and put the 5 gallon bucket inside a 20 gallon trash can and put ice around it as well. A heavy plate will hold the meat below the water level.

I even use the Stark liners when making buckets of sauerkraut, it contains the liquids well with no mess.

For a buck, most delis, bakeries, and restaurants will sell you a food grade bucket with a lids that seals air-tight. At that point they are almost disposable after a few uses. I have heard that even Walmart will sell buckets from their bakery.

Last edited:
This is the one I use and I love it.

The Briner [ame]https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009HHTEDQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_qydXzb5MD0CBJ[/ame]

What are you trying to brine?

I've used the Stark liners in my 5 gallon buckets and they work well with easy clean-up. I use a lot of ice in the brine, and put the 5 gallon bucket inside a 20 gallon trash can and put ice around it as well. A heavy plate will hold the meat below the water level.

I even use the Stark liners when making buckets of sauerkraut, it contains the liquids well with no mess.

For a buck, most delis, bakeries, and restaurants will sell you a food grade bucket with a lids that seals air-tight. At that point they are almost disposable after a few uses. I have heard that even Walmart will sell buckets from their bakery.

I am just looking to do Turkeys and Chickens.

Back