My first SPATCHCOCK chicken.. pics and question

S

Smiter Q

Hi all,

Still trying new things for my first spring/summer season of grilling. Having a great time reading through the postings, and learning a heap as I go. Have about 10 hours read in the UDS threads,, and I am inspired to try one of these in the fall time. Too blasted hot in central Texas to try to burn a 55 drum now.

Anyhoot... last night I tried my first SPATCHCOCK chicken on my little uni-flame grill. I made a mexican style adobo paste, augmented with mexican oregano, salt, pepper, cumin, dried chili, and a little cinnamon. Rubbed it all over, and under the skin. Let it sit for 24 hours in the fridge. Smoked it indirect over a water pan for over an hour, and than finished it up over direct. I used pecan wood for some smoke flavor that was sweet and just right.

QUESTION:
Some places along the net suggest to cook first 15 minutes breast side down.. and other say to keep it bone side down whole time. I decided to keep it bone side down and not flip, as I thought presentation would be better that way. I am open to thoughts on this, and those who do flip.. vs. those who don't.

Thanks for the help and thoughts!

Brian

---------------------------------

PS...

Posted my first thread this weekend..
which explains/shares more of the "AWAKENING"
of smoke and flame that has happened to me this spring and summer.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89110

-----------------------------------
MY first spatchcock butchering job... removed the keel bone too, so it would lay flat as can be
IMG_4161.jpg

The ADOBO paste/marinade... messy as hell!
IMG_3790bb.jpg

Used some apple bacon to keep the breast moist.. as it was finishing up over direct heat.
Grill018bb.jpg

The final SPATCHCOCK... yum yum.. and it looked great!
Grill024.jpg

My personal preference is not to flip as I learned that I usually just loose a bunch of juices that way. Not sure if that juice is just going to run off anyways, but in the end I think it produces a better bird to not flip. Just my two cents, but I am not usually worried about getting crispy skin on my chicks.

Your chk looks perfect.
I cook chicken this way on a weekly basis. I never flip it. I have over-cooked it though (my fault) and it dried out. I let it go too long last weekend. Plan to cook another one this weekend to redeem myself along with some ABTs.

I cook directly over hot wood fire on my grill, just to sear the underside... maybe 10-15 minutes. Then move it to indirect side, breast up, thighs toward fire. Close the lid on my grill and let it cook at 350-400˚ for about 45 minutes to an hour-- until thighs reach 160˚. Skin is crisp, meat is moist, picks up a nice smoke too.

I have done several spatch cocked chickens, never flipped any of them.
I also do turkeys the same way, never flip and everything turns out fine.
I always cook my chicken at 400 degrees on my BGE using the direct method.

I never flip either but your chicken looks pretty darn good. Nice job.

On the egg, I start skin side down to get the skin rendering. Then, 5-10 minutes in, I flip skin side up. If the bottom is cooking to fast I'll change from direct to indirect. I think adding rub under the skin is a key point to get flavor into the meat.

your bird looks great!

spatchxlangl2.png

Wanted to say thanks for all the input!
Consensus is that most do not flip or feel
the need to give a flip. :p

Just chopped up the remainder of the chicken tonight,
sauteed with a little butter, than added some spicy
pepper pasta sauce. Poured that over bow tie pasta.
Gave a nice soft smokey grilled taste to the sauce.

Back