High Plains Lockdown Fridge Dive - Carne Adovada Breakfast Bowls (Pt 6 of X?) w/ Pr0n!

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Yesterday, I mentioned having a hankerin' for Tia Betty Blue's Breakfast Bowl (fritos, papas, carne adovada, red or green chile, eggs, and cheese).

I've never made true carne adovada before, so I checked out 5-6 recipes online and watched 2-3 videos made by folks in ABQ on the subject. Then, as our oven is on the fritz, I chose the Instant Pot version as the base recipe (and combined bits and bobs from the rest) - more ancho chiles, less New Mexico (less heat)... a few other spices... no raisins or fish sauce. You get the idea.

Sorry for the poor quality shot, but the Instant Pot did a great job cooking this in significantly less time than the Dutch Oven versions I read and watched.

lc1YWnNl.jpg

This morning, I got up a little early and whipped up some papas (1 diced potato par boiled for 20 minutes, then fried off with bacon grease and a few spices in the cast iron skillet). Added those and some Fritos scoops to the bowl.

20TY5cvl.jpg

Heated up the adovada, added in some cheese, a fried egg, and topped with a few slices of avocado.

ppwUKuSl.jpg

It was divine, and the lack of red chile meant that even the munchkin loved every bite.

Stay safe and healthy. Best regards and thin blue.

Looks delicious Shadow! I like the idea of using the instant pot too. Thanks for posting!

I do breakfast bowls often and that is definitely the most unique one that I have seen. Looks delicious!

Looks good. For some reason out of all the chips available around here the only ones I can't seem to find post shelter in place are the Fritos scoops.

The 180 turn from raisins and fish sauce to bacon fried tatoes is the winner!
It's heretical in this forum, but waking up to a crock pot full of breakfast carne can be magical...

Looks delicious Marc, thanks for the inspiration!

The Magic Pot (smittyjonz)deemed so, is truly magical

Back