Brisket flat on UDS, first time, tips?

Debmar

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Been smoking regularly last couple years but never ventured into brisket territory yet
Done lots of searching online and although some info there, not necessarily that much for flats on a drum
Was given a 11 lb flat and have it thawing for sunday supper and thought i would ask here for some suggestions
From what i have read i am thinking i should

Dry brine overnight and then S P maybe onion amd garlic as rub
Weber briquets and some oak chunks
wrap at about 160 (dont have butcher paper so i guess that leaves foil)
Trim and cook fat down (leaving about 1/4” fat)
Drum at 275 ish so it doesnt take forever
Add a little beef broth when wrapping
Start checking when thickest part at 195 but call it done when probe tender
Leave wrapped in cooler for at leat an hour but up to 4hrs
Slice thin against grain immediately prior to serving
Leave myself lots of time just in case it doesnt want to get done ( seems like my beef roasts always like to take longer than i think)

Good plan? If you pros have any different suggestions i would appreciate it
Thanks
Martin

Regarding wrapping

Info i found it seemed like the wrapping in foil or paper was the common route to go when only smoking the flat
I was contemplating maybe not wrapping. Would that be a bad idea?

That was one part i wasnt quite sure about

PS: also i just found out the weight on the package was for 2 flats and one had been removed so i only have a 5 lb flat, it wont require any trimming though so it wont get any smaller. Thought i should mention that in case it will impact anything

Last edited:
a little late but wanted to respond about wrapping the flat. wrap it! in most cases not nearly enough fat to let it go unwrapped.

Ended up not wrapping but I think I should have. Flavor was great and not tough at all (pulled at 204) but was dryer. Have some full briskets in freezer and hope to give a try again soon. Not sure of grade so that could have been issue as well.
Thanks for responses

Back