Sausage with natural casings best cooking method

KClandcruiser

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've cooked a lot of different sausages in a multitude of ways from simmering in beer with onions to 2-zone cooking with a reverse sear at the end to just giving them semi-direct heat the whole time.

But, I have never perfected any individual method and seem to use them at random. Most of the time the results are great, but sometime the casing can be a little chewy or not bite through as cleanly as I would like.

What are some of your tired and true methods for getting a good snap on the skin with good bite either on the grill, smoker, flat top or however? I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Straight up grilling.. easiest, and my favorite way to cook any kind of sausage

Do you do direct heat for the duration or have a 2 zone and bring up to temp and then finish on the hot side?

I have pretty good luck grilling them...most times I'll do indirect to get them up to temp and then a minute or two each side direct to get some color/flavor on the casing. I find that doing direct the whole time over a hot fire causes them to burst or "juice out" before they're fully cooked.

When I'm not grilling and I cook them indoors I'll often boil them, then pan sear. Usually I will do it in a frying pan with enough water to cover 1/2 - 2/3 of the sausage with boiling water, flip the sausage 3-5 minutes later, then boil for a few more minutes. Dump the water into the sink, put a little oil in the pan, then sear on each side until I get the color I like.

lkBzkbe.jpg

A lot of the problems with getting a snappy casing is related to the quality of the casing itself. If you are making your own sausages, change suppliers. I order from Syracuse Casing Co., but there a lot of others that sell great casings. Of the 3 popular ways to cook fresh sausages:

Poach in water/beer/butter, then grill to crisp up the skin - I'm okay with this method but the grilling time is so short they don't pick-up as much live fire flavor.

Grill with a medium hot fire using raised direct or indirect set-up - I like this method better but I'm very careful to let the sausages tighten, then plump-up and I watch them so they don't spit, and try never to let them split. If I'm not eating right away I hold in a warmed beet butter bath so they don't wrinkle.

Pan frying - Using med/low heat and a cast iron skillet - This works good too, and I turn them enough to keep the color even. I like a steam finish with a lid and a little water (2 tablespoons) once or twice in the last 5 minutes of cooking.

lkBzkbe.jpg

A lot of the problems with getting a snappy casing is related to the quality of the casing itself. If you are making your own sausages, change suppliers. I order from Syracuse Casing Co., but there a lot of others that sell great casings. Of the 3 popular ways to cook fresh sausages:

Poach in water/beer/butter, then grill to crisp up the skin - I'm okay with this method but the grilling time is so short they don't pick-up as much live fire flavor.

Grill with a medium hot fire using raised direct or indirect set-up - I like this method better but I'm very careful to let the sausages tighten, then plump-up and I watch them so they don't spit, and try never to let them split. If I'm not eating right away I hold in a warmed beet butter bath so they don't wrinkle.

Pan frying - Using med/low heat and a cast iron skillet - This works good too, and I turn them enough to keep the color even. I like a steam finish with a lid and a little water (2 tablespoons) once or twice in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
/\ This, also for me :thumb:
If you are making your own, casing quality makes all the difference.

lkBzkbe.jpg

If I'm not eating right away I hold in a warmed beet butter bath so they don't wrinkled.

That Beet butter is hard to come by around here!:laugh::thumb: Sounds Good though! Just goofin around ,my friend.Heck,I like beets.

Do you do direct heat for the duration or have a 2 zone and bring up to temp and then finish on the hot side?

Mostly direct.. Fresh sausage and bratwurst can handle the heat plus I like mine a little extra crisp from the grill.

When it comes to pre-cooked/smoked sausages, home made or store bought I grill them on low heat as the casings burst alot easier I've noticed

Also when cooking indoors.. I'll fire the cast iron skillet on the stove, put the sausages in a little bit of water cover with a lid and cook for 10 mins flipping them once.. Then I'll throw a hunk of butter in the skillet and onions and the casing browns and cooks up nicely

Back