Lump Comparison. (Video)

Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I have three brands of lump charcoal that I use all the time. Lazzari, Sonora and R.O. I have always wanted to know out of those three which one I was getting the best bang for my buck. So I decided to try a head to head comparison. So I made a video and posted it to youtube. If you feel like watching it I apologize for some of the bad camera work and the long video. I'm still getting used to this youtube thing. Although I'm pretty good at watching it. HAHA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BJwC8sf3J0&t=8s

Thanks for posting this!

Did you notice a significant aroma difference between the Lazzari vs. Sonoran? I've had some mesquite lump that smelled mild-medium while others were pretty strong and offensive. I've gotten to the point where I just stick with RO because I don't want the crap shoot.

Also...for people outside of California looking for Lazarri, another place that I've found Lazarri is at BevMo (of all places). BevMo operates in a few of the western states so they might carry it there.

Interesting I like Wicked Good Lump Charcoal I have not been onm the site for a while but I always like the Naked Whiz reviews

Thanks for posting this!

Did you notice a significant aroma difference between the Lazzari vs. Sonoran? I've had some mesquite lump that smelled mild-medium while others were pretty strong and offensive. I've gotten to the point where I just stick with RO because I don't want the crap shoot.

Also...for people outside of California looking for Lazarri, another place that I've found Lazarri is at BevMo (of all places). BevMo operates in a few of the western states so they might carry it there.

To be honest Mike, I have never noticed any strong aroma from either. So I have never tried to compare on that front. Once a bag of lump gets opened at home if I don't use the whole thing the first time it gets put in the bin with everything else that happens to be in it at the time. I don't seem to get a flavor difference to make it worth keeping it separate. Unlike my woods for the stick burner.

Now that you mention it I have seen the Lazarri at BevMo a while back. But when I looked it was close to double the price I pay from a restaurant supply or from a food service distributor. But the price on almond logs was pretty good.

Jose Garcia is the GM for Lazzari and is super helpful via email or phone if you are looking for their products in your area. When I moved away from the Bay Area he found a food service distributor in my area that would sell direct to me from the loading dock.

Thanks for posting this!

If anyone is interested, I got this from Jose at Lazzari. They are currently supplying Safeways’, Mollie Stones’, Food 4 Less, FoodMaxx, True Value Hardware stores, Save Mart and BevMo. Currently only BevMo has the 40lb bags. But the others can order it in. They do sell on Amazon right now but it's no deal!

Great video Josh, thanks for posting!

Back